Chapter 13

“I HATE YOU!”

“Well I hate you too!”

“I’ve only known you a day and you already make me want to hurl myself off a cliff!”

“Go for it!”

“You are the rudest man I have ever met in my whole life! MY WHOLE LIFE.”

“Well maybe if you weren’t such a bitch then-“

As soon as I heard a crash, I leapt out of my bed, tossing my hair up into a ponytail as I skipped up the stairs two at a time.  When I slid into the kitchen, Harry was crouched on the ground covering his head beside one of my frying pans laying on the ground beside him.  Maria was standing on the other side of the kitchen, her fists clenched and her knees locked like she was about to pounce on Harry.

Not having noticed me, Harry stood up slowly, clutching the dented pan in his hand, ready to sling it back at her.  I shrieked.

“STOP fucking throwing my pans! Who the fuck do you think you two are!?”

Harry jumped at the sound of my voice and dropped the pan on the ground again, making all three of us leap back and cover our ears.  I growled, scooped the pan off of the ground, observed the new dents and scratches, and glared from Harry to Maria and back again. 

Maria almost looked worried for a second, but Harry glared right back at me. “You didn’t have to come in here and scare the shit out of me-“

“I didn’t exactly sneak in here.  You were too busy about to throw a fucking pan at this girl-“

Maria gasped. “I am a woman.  Not a girl.”

My eyes widened as I cocked my head at Maria.  I guess I'm never going to try and defend her again.  Her lack of gratitude made my body tense and I nearly threw the pan at her myself.  I knew Harry could sense it too, because he started laughing.

“Relax, Kennedy, she’s harmless,” Harry muttered.

“She could have knocked you out," I said, holding up the pan in his face.

“But she didn’t.”

“She threw my pan.”

Harry laughed. “It’s just a pan.”

I gritted my teeth. “Do you know how expensive this pan is?”

Harry shrugged and walked to the fridge, pulled out some milk, and drank straight from the jug. “I’ll replace it,” he said nonchalantly, wiping his mouth on the back of his hand.  Maria grimaced.  Harry noticed.  “Or maybe Maria here can replace it, since she threw the pan first!” He shouted in her face.  She punched him in the chest and he laughed.  I was about to tell her that Harry was immune to punches, but she didn’t seem to want my help.  Then I almost laughed myself.  She reminded me of myself the day I met Harry, so irritated with Harry’s overall presence in the room.  At least she knew who she was getting involved with before she agreed to come into this hell-hole, unlike me.

I turned and started to go back to my room, tired of watching Maria and Harry have a glaring contest, when suddenly, Maria called to me.  “Servant, I want breakfast.”

“WOOOAHH,” I laughed darkly.  “Come again?  Did you call me servant?”

“Kennedy, just ignore it,” Harry said, turning away from Maria to face me.

Ignore it??  “I’m not making breakfast for that snobby girl,” I told Harry, emphasizing the last word.  Maria over-exaggerated a gasp.