Chapter 30

My body was shaking with anxiety as Zayn walked out of the basement stairwell and pulled me with him.  He whipped me over toward the front door but motioned for me to stand around the corner in the other empty room.  I nodded as he pressed a single finger to his lips and walked away from me and the front door into the bar room.   I heard his voice as he spoke softly.

“She’s fine.  Asleep,” he lied.

The leather of the couch stretched loudly as Doug’s heavy body shifted on it. “She won’t be fine tomorrow.  That bitch has ruined Marcus’ foot.  On top of that, he freaked the fuck out so much that he’s still got a 102 fever.  He’s going to tear her apart.”

“Is he feeling better than he was this morning after the incident?” Zayn asked.

“I don’t fucking know.  Those pain meds knocked him out.  He’s been asleep since we got home from Andy’s,” Doug replied shrewdly as if Zayn was pestering him.

Zayn backed slowly out of the room.  The back of his leather jacket was visible to me as I peeked around the wall of the empty room I was in.  I supposed it was meant to be a dining room, but like the rest of the house, was bare.

“Well I’m leaving, mate.”

“Where are you going?” Doug asked, sitting up off of the couch quickly. 
Zayn chuckled. “You didn’t think I was going to stay here tonight, did you?  Sleep on that leather couch between you and Marcus?”

“You’re not going to help me take care of him?”

Zayn chuckled again. “You’re a grown man.  I’m sure you can handle Marcus.  He’s asleep anyway, like you said.”

Doug shifted noisily on the couch again. “Whatever, man.”

“See you in the morning then,” Zayn confirmed, turning to walk to the front door.  As he pulled the handle, he glanced over his shoulder into the bar room to make sure Doug wasn’t watching and then motioned to me quickly.  I scurried to the door and allowed Zayn to push me through first into the chilly night.  My bare feet were freezing on the concrete porch.  I wanted to ask Zayn if he could retrieve my phone and shoes, but I decided my priority was getting away from this hell hole as fast as I could. 

“Where is Arnold?” I whispered as we ran down the steps and through the yard to Zayn’s small car. 

“He went home to his wife.”

I shuddered.  He was so loyal to his wife.  Loved his son.  He worked hard.  He seemed like a decent man… but I couldn’t help but wonder if his wife had any idea that he was aiding in torturing Harry and myself – physically and mentally.

“Where is Louis?” I asked as we began to drive. I couldn't tell what neighborhood we were in because of the lack of street lights. 

“The house.”

“Harry’s house??”

“Yeah.  Well, he’s supposed to be.  Earlier tonight, Marcus, Doug, and I went to this house across the city where a lot of Marucs’ body guards stay.  Andy?  They guy whose hand you cut?  He had Louis in his basement.  They decided it was best to keep you three apart.”

I frowned.  “So where is Harry?” I asked, my voice wavering.

Zayn stared at the road in front of us.  “Kennedy, I still don’t know.  When we were at Andy’s there were two guards missing who are usually around – Craig and Walter – but they weren’t there.  I assume Harry is with them but I don’t know where they are either…”

I nodded slowly and bit my lip to keep from crying.  All of these fucking guards… there were so many of them and it was driving me insane.  “So how would Louis have escaped if he was being held at Andy’s and all of the other guards were there?”