Chapter 36

Liam picked us up for the fight like he had been doing for the last few months and Louis sat in the front with him.  Clark was in the back seat with me, but Harry was crammed between us because I couldn't stop trying to punch Clark anytime I was close enough.  It was at times like these when I wondered why Harry hadn't thought to buy a more spacious car, like a limo, maybe?  We needed room to dive into the cars when we were being chased by paps.  We also, apparently, needed space to keep me away from my devious ex. 

When the car pulled up to the front of the arena, Louis gave me a hand, helping me out of my seat and onto the sidewalk in front of the steps that led to the front doors.  Harry dragged Clark out of the back seat and over to a part of the sidewalk away from Louis and myself, then turning both of them so that their backs were to us.  I could hear the stern, but low hum of Harry's voice as he spoke to Clark, but couldn't make out anything specifically.  Clark would nod occasionally and start to glance over his shoulder at me, but Harry would growl until he had Clark's full attention again.  Finally, Harry reached into his pocket, and although I could tell he didn't want me to see, pulled out a few bills of money and handed them to Clark.  Clark shook his head at the gracious (way too gracious, if I do say so myself) gift, but a dark look from Harry made Clark rethink his refusal and take the money.  Clark returned to the car where Liam was waiting, jumped in, and rode away. 

"Why did you do that?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest and raising an eyebrow at Harry as he walked back to us. 

"Do what?" He responded, pretending not to know what I was talking about.  God, he had changed so much.  I remember thinking a few months ago about how much he changed already from the first time we met, how much he had matured and truly managed his anger.  Now especially, he was so loving and careful... he didn't even seem like the same person anymore, but it was a good change.  An amazing change.  I didn't think he could become any better of a person, and yet, time and time again, he proved me wrong.  

"You gave Clark money," I said.

A crowd of spectators about to go into the arena spotted the three of us at the bottom of the steps and began to get excited.  Louis squeezed my shoulder before walking over to them to explain that Harry needed a moment with me. 

Harry drew me into his chest for a hug and played with some of my hair.  "I guess I was hoping a little bit of compassion would make Clark change his ways." 

I laughed into Harry's shirt.  "I don't think Clark will ever change his ways." 

Harry hugged me more tightly.  "Well, the guy may be a complete, total, absolute asshole, but I didn't want to just send him away to starve on the streets."  He kissed me on the top of my head. 

"Where has my Harry gone?" I asked playfully, poking fun at his unusual generosity.

Harry pulled away from me to look at my face as he bit his lip and shrugged.  "I kinda hope the old, angry Harry never comes back.  New Harry's life is starting to look pretty bright.  I like new Harry," he admitted, tucking a strand of hair under my black bandana.

I kissed the underside of Harry's thumb and nodded.  "I love new Harry." 

Harry put his arm around my shoulders and walked both of us to the crowd of fans.  Harry signed autographs and I helped to take pictures of him with fans - something that used to offend me but didn't anymore.  Whenever I would take the picture, Harry would make a face, and while the fan thought he was making a face for the sake of the picture, I knew he was making a face to get me to laugh.

Harry and Louis made arrangements with the League to switch his locker room.  Not that the incident with Marcus was too traumatic of an experience, but it just helped the memory of Marcus and his body guards disappear more quickly.  None of the ring girls dared to speak to Harry anymore when we passed in the hall, but rather they spoke to me, asking how my pregnancy was going and telling me that we needed a "girls weekend," which I thought was hilarious.