t w e n t y t w o

"Yes it's true, Mom" I said into the phone, letting out a giggle. I had woken up to an eager phone call from both my parents who were wondering if Niall's tweet of me and him was real.

"Oh, goodness!" Mom squealed, "That is so lovely, Gabi. I'm so excited for you two. He's such a nice boy, isn't he honey?"

"Well he's no Foley, but I guess he's alright" Dad joked.

"Dad!"

"I'm just kidding, sweetie. Niall is a great guy and I'm really happy for you two" Dad reassured.

"Thanks guys" I smiled, unable to contain my happiness, "I'm really excited about this"

"And you should be" Mom commented before wrapping up the conversation, "Happy new year, baby! Have fun tonight but drink responsibly, okay? I love you and miss you"

"Love ya, squirt. Happy new year" Dad added.

"Love you both more! Happy new year!" I replied before hanging up the phone.

Unfortunately, not everyone's reactions were as good as my parents. While I received many excited and supportive texts and voicemails from my friends back home, there were nasty and just plain old mean tweets and comments all over every social media platform. 

But as the first girl that Niall's ever gone public with, I expected this completely.

"Don't listen to them, love" Niall said once I met him downstairs for breakfast and we analyzed the world's reaction. We stood next to each other with his laptop on the kitchen counter. One hand was on the keyboard while the other gripped his mug.

"I'm not" I reassured with a smile. 

"That's my girl" He beamed. He took a sip from his coffee before continuing, "Are you excited for tonight?"

"Yeah!" I exclaimed, "I can't wait to meet all your friends"

"And they're dying to meet you. I woke up to so many texts and missed calls" He laughed.

"Me too" I smiled, "Y'know, I thought I would be scared to look at Twitter or all the news articles, but I surprisingly wasn't. I scrolled through my feed when I woke up and although a lot of it was negative, it didn't really affect me, which is weird because I'm like the most sensitive baby in the world"

"I think that just shows how crazy you are about me" Niall smirked.

"Hmm, you might be right" I giggled, pecking his cheek.

We then spent the rest of the day cleaning his house and setting up decorations. Well, I set up decorations while Niall edited his Spotify playlist but that's besides the point. As nine o'clock neared, I was getting beyond excited. This was the first time Niall would introduce me to people as his girlfriend.

Around 8:30, I finished getting ready all dolled up in my black sequin New Years dress. I saw it while shopping with Foley on Christmas Eve and absolutely fell in love with it. I left my hair in it's natural state, mostly straight but a little wavy. After applying setting spray to keep my make up in place, I made my way downstairs.

"Fuckin' hell" Niall mumbled once he caught sight of me. His mouth parted as he watched me walk down the stairs. I'd be lying if I said I didn't love the feeling.

"Hey" I smiled at him, giggling slightly at his lack of response, "You good?"

"Great, yeah" He nodded, still eyeing my dress, "You look absolutely stunning, Gabi"

"You're sweet" I blushed.

"No really, baby" He shook his head, closing the gap in between us as he rested his hands on my waist, "I'm so lucky that someone as beautiful as you is mine"