T W E N T Y

You Don't Know Me

Chapter 20

Not Edited

~ Summer Preston's POV ~

The Sweetheart's dance was a right of passage to every teenager in Eastview.  It happened every year on Valentine's day no matter what. The only time it was ever canceled was in 1987 after a really bad blizzard. It was as big of a deal as Prom.

It's basically like a pre-prom. Asking someone to the dance is as important as a promposal. There's even a contest for who asks their date the cutest way.  

There's also a 'cutest couple' contest which is as important as Prom King & Queen. It's so important because the 4 couples that win are nominated for Prom King & Queen. They're referred to as the Sweetheart Prince & Princesses.

Unlike Prom King & Queen, the couples don't run. People just vote for them and at the end of the dance the 4 with the most votes are nominated.

In January I signed up to help set up the dance because it's my senior year and I haven't done anything that important. I've been so focused on Anthony, Tanner, Kali and Yasmine that I completely forgot to make some memories.

The Sweetheart's committee was made up of 6 people. There was only 2 seniors though. Tara Williams and obviously me. So we were the committee leaders. Talk about awkward. Well, it wasn't really awkward since Tara has been acting like she wasn't obsessed with my 'boyfriend' a few months ago. I don't know. It's weird.

"What about a black and white theme?" A sophomore named Faye suggested.

"No. There's rumors that that's going to be prom's theme" Tara smiled at the girl.

We've been trying to think of a theme for 4 days and today is the day we have to decide because if we don't then any supplies we order won't come till after Valentine's day.

"What about a Hollywood theme?" I said.

"Like celebrities?" A freshman named Margaret asked.

"No. Like old time Hollywood" I continued. "Like the 20s or something. We could decorate it with older designs and decorations that were considered rich back then"

"That sounds amazing" Tara smiled wide. "We could set up a red carpet that comes from the hallway into the gym"

"And we can set up an old timey camera area for the pictures. Does that make sense?" Faye said and we nodded.

"You're so creative Summer!" Tara hugged me and I awkwardly hugged back.

~~~

"I need your help" Eric said as soon as I walked through the door.

"With?" I asked.

"Asking Marilyn to the Sweetheart's dance" He blushed.

"You're going to ask her?" I smiled and he nodded.

"I thought she'd appreciate making it a big deal" He laughed awkwardly.

My brother is such a sweetheart.

"Of course I'll help you" I smiled.

We spent the rest of the day planning and getting supplies. We decided that he should ask her at school the next day since Valentine's day was only 3 days away.

"Are you sure this is going to work?" Eric asked when we were finished.

"I'm sure" I grinned.

~~~