Gnome Your Enemy

A colored background appeared on the screen, sketches joining on the picture as Blinky spoke, each of his words corresponding to the pictures. The Trolls and their history, seemingly coming alive with each word.

"For centuries, the troll and human worlds stood separate and at peace, divided by bridges that acted as doorways between our two realms. But the Gumm-Gumms wanted to devour all of mankind. They were led by Gunmar "the Black." The rest of trollkind fought against him, culminating in the great Battle of Killahead Bridge, the portal to Gunmar's Darklands. After many moons, good triumphed over evil, and our great Trollhunter, Deya "the Deliverer," locked Gunmar away, exiling him to the Darklands, and sealed the Killahead Bridge with the sacred amulet. After, we tore it apart, stone by stone. We left the old world in search for peace. We stowed away on a ship called the Mayflower, just a handful of us and some gnomes we'd brought along for companionship and nourishment. Finally, we arrived in a strange and exotic realm."

"So you're telling me that Deya is that kind of Trollhunter? The legacy maker?" Shannon stated and Blinky nodded.

"How does one trap someone in a bridge?"

"We're still confused about the existence of trolls and you're asking about a magic bridge?"

"This is exciting! I thought they were creepers, you know, bad guys! But they're helping us from the bad creepers! Getting to learn-"

"Eli, shut up!"

"New Jersey," Aaarrrgghh said.

Blinky continued, "We kept walking. Eventually, we came across a new Heartstone, and we realized we had found a new home under Arcadia."

"Walking? That is a very long walk, and you guys can only travel at night."

"Damn, New Jersey? Man just imagine that far of a walk. No thank you."

"That would be hilarious if they passed on in New Jersey. Who knows how many Hearstones there are."

"If they did, maybe Jim might not be the Trollhunter."

Blinky finished, his hands pulling down the book to reveal Toby, leaning forward, deep into the story, Aaarrrgghh matching Toby's posture while Jim was asleep, another open book in his lap. Blinky groaned and quietly walked to Jim, Toby and Aaarrrgghh watching as Bliny slammed the book shut. Jim woke with a startle, screaming in spanish.

"Lo siento, Senor Draal! No me mates!"

"You sound pretty good when you speak spanish," Claire said, "if you want, I can always teach you more."

Jim nodded, "that would be great."

"How can you speak perfect spanish when you're forced to wake up, with no thought in mind, then when you take a test in Uhl's class or talk to C-Bomb, you bomb it?"

"I think too much."

"I need to see effort," Senor Uhl commented, "but I can come to an understanding since you are trying while you fight for your life. It is strange that I am saying that to a student."

"Whoa, Senor Uhl having compassion? Who are you?" Toby asked and Claire snorted.

"I do have compassion!"

"The training of troll history might seem like a minor duty, Master Jim, but--"

Jim quickly interrupted, "Sorry, I pulled an all-nighter studying for my Spanish Comprehension exam and my brain is muy gooey. I don't know. I guess I thought if I'm facing Draal in a week, my training would be a little more active."