Chapter Thirteen {Jamie Versus Cindy}

We met on the dock of Mermaid Beach and I was almost surprised at all the students who showed up. There were even more than my last duel with Patrick. Cindy was leaning against her sword, a wide smirk on her face.

I didn't realize I had a somber look on my face. I really didn't want to fight Cindy. Not after what had happened with Patrick. Not when my mind was in a violent whirlpool of emotions. I wasn't physically nor emotionally ready for the duel and Dad had always said your mentality is what carries you.

However, I put on my brave face. "Lets see what you got princess."

The rebels side of the crowd cheered and the royals fell into a chorus of boos. I could see Blondie Lockes at the very middle of the crowd, her mirrorpad set on a camera tripod shooting the action.

"Arrrr matey," Cindy giggled. "I'll surreee do that!" Then she turned to the crowd. "Like, really? Who talks like that?"

I gritted my teeth, leveling my sword. "Get on with it, Cindy!"

Cindy swung her sword - and I quickly ducked, responding with a swift swing that sent Cindy staggering back. She glared at me then, taking a step foward. The crowd was going wild and I tried to concentrate on the duel, however all I could think about was Patrick and that kiss and - Cindy swung again and I wasn't ready.

I fell hard on to the dock, the breath knocked out of me. It was one tale of a swing! I didn't know Cindy was so good at dueling. She just seemed like some prissy rich girl. I was mentally beating myself up for underestimating her.

I hopped back on to my feet and the rebels were relieved.

Cindy's smirk quickly turned into a frown. Like a ballerina, she twirled towards me again. She swiped her sword downwards, barely missing my leg. I swung towards her only to catch the end of her stale blade.

"Jamie Hook needs to step up her game or I see her losing this duel folks!" I heard Blondie's loud commentating. "Who knew Cindy Darling could be a mean competitor!"

I spun around to see Cindy in a fighting stance, breathing heavily but seeming satisfied. I realized I had to turn the tables on her. I had to do something she wouldn't expect. So I jumped. I jumped right on top of her blade, barely losing my balance and hitting the dock wood.

My hands quickly held on to her sword as she, panicked, began swinging her sword everywhere, trying to throw me off.

"What an incredible move!" Blondie exclaimed. "Jamie Hook is standing on Cindy Darling's sword!"

Then Cindy couldn't hold me any longer and she dropped the sword. As soon as I hit the dock, I made a swing for her leg, ready to trip her - and Cindy grabbed the end of my sword with a scream.

I gasped. "Let go!"

"You let go!" She screeched back, looking like a raging lunatic.

My palms were becoming sweaty and I found myself losing my grip. Don't let go. Don't let go.

"Jamie, what are you doing?" I heard someone exclaim. A very familiar voice. A voice I didn't want to hear at this moment.

I looked over the crowd to see who I dreaded the most - my mother.

Then Cindy yanked the sword away from me and I was hurled over the dock, into the water.

-----------------------

A/N: Sorry for the late update guys! I know it may seem like I don't care about this story but I really do and I'm trying but at the end of the day, my grades and education is important. I'm not giving up but I don't want anyone thinking I don't care.

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!