Chapter Fourteen {The Final Goodbye}

"Jamie, what were you thinking?" Mom exclaimed, pacing back and forth around my hotel room. Maddie was in the shower, pretending to shower at least. We could both hear her eavesdropping with her rabbit while having a tea party but Mom seemed not to care.

My mother still looked the same; the same jet black hair as mine that never had a speck of gray and that old look in her eyes that said she's experienced more than I'll ever know. While my father had been carefree and fun at times, Mom was just plain boring and  excruciatingly strict.

I tightened the towel around me, sitting down on my alabaster - colored bed. I had been soaking wet from falling. "I can't turn down a duel, its a pirate rule."

"A ridiculous rule at that!" Mom shouted. "I can't have you being kicked out of school especially not now!"

"Whats going on right now?" I asked, noticing the questionable look on Mom's face.

She let out a frustrated sigh. "Just problems on the sea again but thats not the point," Mom regained her posture and sat down next to me. "You need to be focusing on your studies. Who cares about what some prissy girl has to say about you?"

Mom had no idea what the real reason of the duel was. If I explained to her that it was about realizing that I might just like the enemy and Cindy had threatened to take that away from me, she'd have a ogre tantrum.

"You're right." I mumbled sullenly, although inside I was celebrating the fact that Mom seemed to be letting it go.

"So as punishment," She said grimly. "You'll spend the day with me on the seas."

I fell back on to my bed with despair. "Just kill me now!"

"I'm sure a cup of tea can fix you right up!" Maddie exclaimed, bursting through the bathroom door with two hot steaming tea cups.

---------------------------

I found Mom's ship on the shores of the beach. It was a majestic ship with gold - linen sails and made out of pure gold. It my parents pride and joy; Shell. I have no idea how they came up with such a bland name.

The entryway was being rolled out by Mom's fellow pirates; Wibbles and Black Murphy. They still looked plump and snarky just as they did when they had sailed with Dad.

"Hey, Jamie, where ya headed?" I heard a familiar call.

I turned to see Darling and....Patrick coming towards me. Daring was still admiring himself in his hand mirror.Patrick had a huge smile on his face, barely limping now.

Patrick had a pixie dust charmed sock on his limping foot and I had to stop myself from exploding into laughter. If I could, I would make fun of him until my heart's delight - but of course, there was Cindy.

"N-nowhere." I mumbled, quickly turning towards the ship.

However, I could still hear them behind me. I heard Daring's cry of agony as he dropped his mirror and Patrick's laugh. "Hey, Jamie, did you see that?" He laughed now. "Daring just dropped his-"

"I have to go!" I called out, my voice trembling.I so dearly wanted to be laughing right beside him as Daring cried over a mirror.

"Its not funny, guys!" Daring shouted. "This is equivalent to being knocked off a moutain by a dragon!"

"Not really!" Patrick exclaimed.

I made it to the entryway, handing my bags to an annoyed Wibbles. 

"Jamie, whats wrong?" Patrick asked.

I sighed. I couldn't do this. I just couldn't ignore him. It was so hard. I turned around slightly, still walking up the entryway. However, I couldn't bring myself to hurt him. To cut off our friendship. To cut off the possiblity of something more. "Nothing,"I said. "See ya later, doofus." I realized how strained and sad I sounded.

Patrick must have heard it too as he wasn't smiling anymore, a sad look on his face. "Yeah...see ya later."

Then the entry way door was rolled back up and I couldn't see either of the boys anymore.

---------------

Sorry, this is sort of a filler chapter and the next one will be as well. I just like writing filler chapter as I feel it provides more depth to the importance of the plot or the character. So any thoughts?

Thanks again and again and again for the success of this story!