Writing Characters: Part One

Got an idea? Great! Now you go to write Alex into that idea, right? 

I'm assuming that you're using Alex Rider in the story. If your not, then you might have to write another character in, but the concept works the same. 

When I have to write a character into a story, I create a character profile. Name, DOB etc. Then, I have my cousin draw out how my character would look in real life. She is an amazing artist and by the time she's done, I know exactly how my character looks like. However, if you don't have someone who can draw the characters out for you or your rubbish at drawing, you might want to base your character on a real-life person. For example, when I want to describe Alex, I just look up pictures of young Alex Pettyfer (*sighs*) and there you go! Alex Rider's being described. 

Now, some people have a little trouble with description. I never had trouble with it because detail came naturally to me, but there are several ways to improve writing detail. One way is to do a writing exercise I learned in writing camp. To start, place several objects in front of you. The more interesting the better, but it can be everyday objects. Our teacher placed several objects in front of us that she knew we don't see often-an antique brass key, an enormous conch shell, an old coke bottle from the sixties and a china doll from when she was really little. Our objective was simple-describe the object so that if an alien who had never seen these objects before would know what they looked like. Or had an idea, at least. A variation on this exercise is to have one person turn around, so they aren't facing the object and other people take turns describing the object to them while the person turned around draws them. Whoever gets the closest to drawing the objects correctly wins. 

Another way is to read great descriptions. Reading description will give you an idea what to and what to not write. For example, here are two examples of descriptions. Pick the one that sounds like a better, more thorough description-

Example One: His eyes were blue, framed by his lashes and his skin was pale. His mouth was pink and pouty and he looked to be about five or six.

Example Two: His eyes were dark blue, framed by dark brown lashes, and his skin was the same shade of paleness as someone who was dying. Or someone already dead. The only colour on his skin was his lips, which were strawberry pink and full and pouty. His small size and even smaller limbs put him to be about five or six years old.

I don't know about you, but the second description was much better. Now, warning-don't go overboard. Want an example? We'll use the same ones from top except we'll really lather it on-

Example Three: His eyes were the colour of the sea and framed by long, curly dark brown lashes. They were the size of two marbles and looked almost like two marbles except they had a dead look in them. His hair was dark brown, like his eyelashes, the colour of rich mahogany and reached his shoulders. His pale skin was transparent and see-through, so you could see all the veins underneath. His lips were rich matte pink and pouty, giving him a fish-kiss look, and his head only came up to Mellie's thigh, putting him at three to five years old. 

Now, that description wasn't bad, but you don't want to give everything away at once. Spill the goods slowly throughout the story. Making it too easy for your reader isn't fun, and trust me, they will love it if you give away a little detail one at a time. Also, when writing a character, it isn't about the physical attributes. Mentality counts as well. 

The way someone behaves reflects on their character. For example, here are two examples of the same 2 guys reacting to the same situation and what conclusion(s) you can draw from their reactions. 

Guy Number One: Situation One

Boss says something bad about them: Flips shit and wreaks the entire office, calling his boss a total "biatch". The guy is fired and three days later, the boss receives a package filled with poo and a note saying " This is what you are-shit." 

Conclusion(s): Guy is easily angered and has a hot temper. in a fight/flight situation, the guy chooses to fight. However, due to the fact that he did not actually physically harm the boss but instead send him a degrading message shows that although he chooses to fight, he is a coward-all talk, no action. 

Guy Number Two: Situation One

Boss says something bad about them: Excuses themselves and complains to the company. Boss is fired. They are promoted. 

Conclusion(s): Instead of fighting, they choose a flight and let someone else fight their battle for them. This shows they have a lot of self-control and are calm, even in stressful situations. 

Guy Number One: Situation Two

Asks a beautiful woman on a date. She says no and agrees instead to go out with another guy: Corners guy and tells him to lay his hands off. Guy challenges him, and our guy punches him in the nose. Sadly, he does not know the other guy is a former sumo wrestler and our guy is beat to a bloody pulp. 

Conclusion(s): Instead of asking another woman out, our guy is adamant about getting his way and even goes to blows over it. However, he has false bravado and ends up getting hurt. 

Guy Number Two: Situation Two

Asks a beautiful woman on d date. She says no and agrees instead to go out with another guy: Politely accepts the truth and asks out another woman, saving himself from being beaten to a bloody pulp. 

Conclusion(s): He has a lot of patience, but unlike guy one, no specific sentimentality attached to a girl, since he showed no emotion over being rejected. He then asks another girl which shows he just wants someone beautiful and probably does not fall for personality. Or he just can't be bothered. 

A character's mentality runs half the story. It depends on the character's choices whether or not the story will go a certain way. Alex chose in the book Stormbreaker to jump from a 15-storey building to another building to find out what really happened to his uncle, not only showing he was in excellent physical condition and curious but without him doing that, the Alex Rider adventures would never have happened.

We're going to have to cut this chapter short, so until next time! :) 

-Amber

P.S: As a bonus, I included a sample Alex Rider description. No plagiarism, just use it as a reference!

He had a lean body, but underneath his dark blue school blazer, she could see muscles. His hair was dirty blond and hung in his eyes a bit, and his dark brown eyes were focused on something of into the distance. His lips were a shade of light pink and his small, slightly hard and narrow mouth was relaxed at the moment, and his skin was a shade of light tan. She blushed when his gaze finally met hers...