How To Write An Ill/Injured Person

As I am typing this, I have a 100-degree fever so let's just say I am very well versed in this topic. 

There are several factors to consider when writing an ill person. First of all, what kind of illness do they have? Did it come from another injury or wound? How severe is it? For example, I am running a 100-degree fever with a sore throat and chills. I blame it on the fact that I am stupid and I sleep in a bedroom that is absolutely freezing at night. My fever isn't too severe but I did have to miss out on some very important classes that I had and my hands are shaking as I type this. 

Next, consider your character. How would they react to being ill? Who would take care of them (if they live with someone else)? Would they be like me, insisting that they're fine when they're clearly not? What kind of medication would they take? How would they spend their time being sick? Working? Resting? Sleeping? A mixture of the three? 

Third, how often are they sick? Is this a common occurrence? Do they know how to deal with being sick or are they completely nubes ( that would be me, haha)? How old are they (age does affect immunity)? How is their immune system? 

Let's take the example of Alex, who we are writing this for. Alex is a spy. He has been injured a various number of times. He is young, between the age of 14 to 15 (if you're writing him as older, consult further). Although he has been treated in various hospitals, it doesn't necessarily mean that those hospitals will be able to eliminate every single affliction he may have. Especially if he doesn't follow what they told him to do. For example, consider the scenario below: 

Alex has been in the hospital for three weeks, treated for a cracked rib and multiple knife wounds on his torso and arms. He got out of the hospital with strict instructions for bed rest and care. He followed these instructions and got better within three months. 

Now, consider instead the following scenario: 

Alex has been in the hospital for three weeks with a cracked rib and multiple knife wounds on his torso and arms. He got out of the hospital with strict instructions for bed rest and care. However, SCORPIA found him and he was forced to evacuate the safe house he was staying at, jumping from a burning house ten feet onto the ground. He, therefore, injured his ribs more, cause the stitches in his arm to rip open again and in addition to this, broke his ankle. 

Similar scenarios yet different outcomes, right? Point is, character's reactions to injuries is very important to consider as well. In the first scenario, nothing happens and Alex followed the instructions he was given. In the second scenario, he disobeyed and ended up injuring himself further. These injuries can cause further humorous dialogue to be inspired, considering that Alex is one of those people who would be more concentrated on the fact that SCORPIA had tried to kill him again then the fact that he could have died: 

Alex couldn't believe it. He really couldn't believe it. This was the third time SCORPIA had tried to kill him, the third time they had failed. If he didn't know better, it was almost as if they were trying to miss, trying to see how far it would go before he would snap back. 

Well. He got up, wincing. The only thing he had managed to snap was his rib. 

Also, consider running a character's train of thought to their injury. I can barely think, my brain feels sluggish etc. Alex, for example, from the earlier example, might feel dazed: 

His head hurt and he could barely take a step without a sharp pain shooting up and down his right leg. He wanted to scream but that required something called energy and he didn't seem to have much of it right now. Briefly, his mind flickered to the burning building behind him. It would surely explode. He had gone down to the basement earlier to find cans and cans of gasoline. Now he wondered if SCORPIA had put it there on purpose. If they knew about the safehouse...knew he was going to stay there...

He took another step and his leg gave out. He crumpled to the ground, rolling over onto his back. The pain was too much. His eyes were watering, the smoke and ash and debris getting in them. He closed his eyes and then there was comforting blackness and silence. 

Now, let's fast forward a bit and say he manages to end up in the hospital. Think about what kind of injuries or side effects he could have from what he's been through. The obvious ones would be his ribs, arms/torso, and leg. Would he be shocked? Would he unconscious? Does he know what's going on? It varies from character to character but let's assume that Alex is barely conscious and he can sort of understand what's going on: 

Something was strapping his shoulder down, holding him in place. He made a noise, with his mouth but no one could hear it through all the commotion. His head felt heavy and his back felt damp; was he bleeding again? Or sweating? 

Someone's head appeared in his field of vision and he blinked, thinking it was Jack. But the hair was too long and the eyes too narrow, the skin a wrong shade of pale. The lips moved; they were red, and he blinked again. 

"...running a fever..." 

"...miracle...alive...should have...dead..." 

"...surgery..."

"...guardian..." 

All these words floated through the air, making no sense. What were they saying? Who was he? Was he dead or alive? Had he floated to heaven? Or was he in hell? He supposed it served him right; all those innocent people who had died for him. But hell could never feel so warm and comforting. And he was almost certain hell didn't smell like cheap rose perfume. 

Reactions will vary from character to character, however, so it's important to know how your character will react before writing them. 

That's pretty much all I can say for this. Thanks for the continued support guys! If you ever need help, don't be afraid to leave a comment or message me! 

Happy Writing!

-Amber