Drugs

NOTE: I AM IN NO WAY A MEDICAL EXPERT. THE INFORMATION IN THIS CHAPTER IS TO BE USED AS INFORMATION. PROPER DIAGNOSES ARE FOR YOUR DOCTOR. I CANNOT OFFER ADVICE ON ANY OF THE MATERIAL FOUND IN THIS ARTICLE. FURTHERMORE, I CAN ALSO NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ACTIONS THAT OCCUR FROM THE INFORMATION PRESENTED IN THIS ARTICLE. PLEASE DO NOT TRY ANY OF THIS AT HOME. MANY OF MY SOURCES ARE LISTED HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION IF YOU NEED IT. FINALLY, DRUGS ARE DANGEROUS TO USE UNLESS OTHERWISE PRESCRIBED. 

STAY SAFE GUYS!

Okay, I know what you're thinking-why would a spy take drugs? Drugs do the exact opposite of what you would expect a spy wants, which is to be mentally alert and prepared for action. 

However, drugs do come in handy for subduing people. There are the ones that are portrayed in movies, like chloroform, and cocaine, but there are many common misconceptions when writing drugs. For example, chloroform, despite popular belief, takes five minutes to knock someone out. It can also depend on the dosage and the person. Another point to consider? Sometimes the wrong dose can be given to someone and they can die or undergo severe complications. 

In this chapter, I'll go over some of the more common drugs and treatments for drug overdoses etc. 

CATEGORIES OF DRUGS: 

Sources: 7 types of drugs, TheIACP.org. Accessed February 1st, 2020. 

There 7 main categories of drugs. 

Narcotics, or opioids, are mainly used for pain relief. They target pain receivers in the body and multiply the effect of releasing painkillers into the body by ten times the normal body can, making them feel good. Another name for them is Narcotic Analgesics.

Central Nervous System depressants slow down the operations of the brain and body. Examples are alcohol, Valium, and Rohypnol. Central Nervous System Stimulants are used to accelerate heart rate, overstimulating the body. One example is cocaine. 

Hallucinogens are drugs that cause users to see things differently than they normally would. A good example is LSD.

Disassociative Anesthetics cut off pain or cause the brain to disassociate its perception of the pain. An example is PCP. 

Inhalants include a range of substances that, when breathed, can produce various effects. Examples include hairspray, paint thinners, and gasoline. 

Finally, there's cannabis. Also known as marijuana. 

DOSE VS DOSAGE: 

"...According to the definitive guide on medical writing and style, dose and dosage each have very specific meanings.

A dose refers to a specified amount of medication taken at one time. By contrast, dosage is the prescribed administration of a specific amount, number, and frequency of doses over a specific period of time." 

-From VeryWellHealth.com

That's pretty self-explanatory, so I won't really elaborate more. 

OPIATES: 

Source(s): AddictionCenter.com, accessed February 1st, 2020. All information comes from this source, though they are briefly summarized here. I do not own this information, nor do I take credit for it. 

Opiates are drugs that are used to treat mild to intense pain in patients. Also, know as Opioid Painkillers, they can calm down users quickly, making them easy to abuse. For added realism in your own writing, since we are writing about spies, you could make them start abusing opiates after particularly nasty injuries or accidents that might require painkillers.