2

„What do you think?" Mike Duggan asked me after the meeting with the Chinese investor the next day and I thought for a moment about an appropriate answer.

„The offer for sure would spill a lot of tax money into the city and also the upcoming 20 years you wouldn't have to worry about keeping the port in working order...."

„I already know there's a downside, right?" He cutted in frustrated and I nodded apologetically.

„You would have to explain to the board at the next gathering why they would have to vote in favor for Reparation payments, only so an investor would take over."

„But that's their conditions..." he sighed even more frustrated and I nodded.

„Mister Duggan, this was only the first meeting to kind of know who you're dealing with. The upcoming, if you decide to move on with the project, they will be important. I would suggest we meet at the port tomorrow with construction companies, to ask for a costs estimate and then we'll negotiate with the Chinese again."

„Am I right when I think you have a solution in mind?"

„I maybe do, but first we have to know the estimates." He nodded while a small smile appeared on his face.

„I'm convinced more and more that hiring you was one of the best decisions I've ever made." I shrugged nonchalantly and smiled politely back at him.

„We will see."

Let's hope it works out like I want it to....

3 days later I was sitting in my office again and worked through the estimated costs from the construction companies. My idea to negotiate with the new investor was getting clearer more and more and by now I was sure we could lend them the port, without paying for the reparations.

I just have to convince them....

„Miss Schreiber, can I bring you anything?" My secretary's voice babbled through the intercom and I looked at my watch to see it was way past lunchtime.

A new brain, nerves.....

„A coffee would be nice. Thank you, Sarah." I removed my finger from the button I'd pressed to answer her and my eyes fell onto the little piece of paper with the gas station strangers phone number.

I still haven't called.....should I?

„Your coffee, Miss." Sarah walked in and I looked at her, already losing my thought about calling the mysterious man.

She placed the cup on a free spot on my desk and I nodded thankfully at her.

„Don't you want something to eat, maybe? You haven't eaten lunch the past days, I noticed so I thought...."

„Thank you for your concern..." I cutted her off while I took the mug in my hand and she fell quiet. "But you should stay to your job description which doesn't involve feeding me."

She gasped from my lack of politeness and sharpness in my voice and I took a sip from my coffee.

"Miss, I just...."

"Sarah, I am here to work, not for lunchtime breaks. You can go back to work!" I dismissed her and when she instantly had left my office, I brushed through my hair and exhaled deeply.

At my company headquarter everyone knew that I was a workaholic and therefore they'd stopped trying to get me to their lunch break gatherings, but that wasn't my only 'issue'. I was an antisocial person, I hated interacting with people which had been the reason I'd chosen early to work with numbers. They don't talk, they don't try to snoop through your private life, they're just on a piece of paper, cold and rational.