9

The second I'd drove out of the gates of the studio and knew that no one could see me, I'd let the left over tears I'd held in, run down my face. I couldn't understand how I could've been so dumb and trust him, how I could've given him a chance to step foot into my organized life. I was good and partially happy with my life and how it was, so why had I felt the need to have a man in it.

And why him out of 3.5 billion?!

I should've trusted my guts and never went to his workplace to apologize for my behavior yesterday.

For what had I even apologized? For not being a slut?

I was slowly driving towards my home while I wiped the tears off and then my cellphone started ringing. An unknown number....

„Hello?" I answered when I'd cleared my throat and pressed the button at the steering wheel to answer over the speakers of my car.

„Daniela?"

Great! Now his friends are calling...

„Yes."

„It's me, Denaun...."

Thankfully he didn't bother me for all too long, so I could drown myself in my own thoughts. Denaun had tried to convince me that it all just was a stupid joke and that Marshall would've never went through with it, but honestly who was he trying to fool?! I knew I wasn't as quick as others to catch up on the feelings topic, but that still didn't make me dumb. I was more than sure that he would've done it and so I'd told Denaun to inform him to not contact me anymore. I simply didn't want to be played like a toy, but still I'd agreed to call him.

I never said when.....

It took me 12 minutes more than usual, due to my slow driving, to arrive back home and when I'd gotten out of my car, unlocked my front door, stepped inside and let it fall back into the lock, it was one of these rare times where I wished I wasn't the antisocial person that I'd been. A friend to talk to, vent or cry would've been nice to have now, but since I literally had nobody, I had to deal with my feelings by myself.

Distract yourself with work!

I nodded once to myself before I went upstairs to change into more comfortable clothes and then back down into my office to look over the only thing which gave me peace and comfort.

Numbers!

„Miss Schreiber, I thought I told you to stay at home for the week?!" Mayor Duggan greeted me surprised when I'd crossed his way at the city hall the next morning.

Since I wasn't blessed with sleep the past night, I'd decided to work on and then go back to the office.

„Good morning, mayor!" I greeted him with a weak smile. „Well, I'm doing much better so it's time to get back to work."

Straight up lie! I'm feeling even worse!

„Well.....I'm glad you're back, although I had a reason to give you a week off. You're working more than anyone in here, you really should take time to rest a little."

„Thank you, mayor, but I can assure you that's not necessary." I nodded at him and before he could turn away to walk on, I halted him. „There's one more thing...."

„Yes?"

„Would you have time to come down to my office later, I might have had an idea to get the car companies back to Detroit."

Duggan furrowed his eyebrows in surprise and nodded repeatedly.

„Of course, what about 1 pm?"