Chapter Three

Sleeping isn't as peaceful as I thought it would be. My problems are following me into my dreams and when I wake up after another quick nap, I can't help but sob. I sit up and lean against the wall, hugging my pillow. The darkness outside making it harder to relax.

My quiet sobs turn too soon into a hysterical cry and my head begins to pound. I sit there and cry for at least 15 minutes until I hear my phone buzzing. I crawl over my bed to pick it from my night stand and check it. It's a message from Niall.

Louis, when you see this, please call me okay?

My heart begins to race. Is he in trouble? I am worried sick and before I call him, I check the time. 4:32 a.m.

I click on his number and lift the phone to my ear. I wipe my tears away and concentrate on my breathing.

One ring, two ring, three rings.... Nothing. I grow more nervous within seconds until he finally picks it up at the eighth ring.

"Louis?"

"Niall what happened? Are you okay?"

"Hey, calm down. I am alright."

I don't say anything and exhale loudly.

"Why did you text me at 4 a.m. and asked to call you then?"

I say it more reproachfully than I wanted and immediately feel guilty.

"Why didn't you tell me, Lou?"

"Tell you what??"

"Your mother..."

I swallow. "Lou are you alright?" his voice full of concern. I want to say yes but I choke on my response and whimper a no. "I am coming over!" he exclaims and before I can protest, he hangs up.

Damn Niall's mother for working in the same hospital, where my mom is.

Mom.

Not even twenty minutes later, the doorbell rings and I get up. I flick the lights on and walk downstairs. As soon as I open the door, I see my best friend in baggy sweats and a black tee. A bag in his hand.

Not sure what to do, I take a step to the side and open the door more so he can step in. He gets in, takes his shoes off and I close the door.

I turn around and not even a second later, Niall is holding me in his arms.

"I am so sorry Lou." I don't want to cry but my body decides differently. I begin to shake and tears escape my eyes.

I can't get any words out and I stop fighting back. I sink into Niall's warm hug and he gently rubs my back. We stand there for at least 5 minutes until I slowly break free, giving him a small, reassuring smile.

"How come your mom told you in the middle of the night?" I ask. "Eh, I'll tell you but let's go to your room okay?" I nod and look at the bag in his hand, still not knowing what's inside.

"So?" I push him, too curious. "Well I went outside to throw the box of the pizza away, cause mom hates it, when I order food." he pauses and looks at me.

"Go on." I'm getting impatient because I really didn't want Niall to know it before tomorrow... well actually today.

"I kinda slipped into the dirt next to the bins. I had to take a shower and then mom came home and saw that I'm still up, so she told me."

I chuckle at the thought of Niall being covered in dirt.

"At 4 a.m.?"

He begins to stutter. "Uh... Actually..."