3. Ice Water

VICTORIA POV

"Don't be nervous, you're gonna do great", Faye wrapped her arms around me in a tight hug. It'd been raining all week, so Faye's been driving me to rehearsals. It didn't bother her though, sometimes she stayed to watch some of fellow performers. Well, the ones that she deemed hot.

"I'm fineeee!", I shrug her off me like a child embarrassed by their mom. "you're smothering me!" I lied. I was not fine. The last place I worked for was smaller than the Blair Hotel & Casino, the theatre was even tinier. The audition room for the Blair was a small one and it was the only thing I could use to compare it to their theatre.

When I walked into rehearsals for the first time, it took my breath away. The walls were gilded in... real gold? The hand carved molding wrapped around the walls like filigree vines. I gulped at the heavy red velvet curtains that gently grazed the stage floor which just so happened to be twice as large as the one I was used to.

"Okay, all your fellow performers are coming in so I'm gonna get going", Faye gives me one last quick hug, her stilettos clicking over to the theatre exit. One of the trapeze artists passes her by causing her head to whip back for a better look.

"No", I mouth as our eyes lock.

Faye rolls her eyes. "Fine", she silently mouths back. "He's so hot" and then proceeds to dry hump the air like the weirdo that she is.

I'm too busy snickering to myself that I don't realize where I'm going. Smack! "Ow! Son of a biscuit eater!", I shout, rubbing my head. I look up only to be met with a tall, broad back facing me. The giant wall turns and reveals himself to be a man. A very, very good-looking man.

His eyes are green like mine, only lighter. His chocolate brown hair looked like he'd just gotten out of bed as it waved out and curled slightly around his ears. My eyes trailed down his face, noticing his sharp jawline blanketed with stubble and between that lied his full lips. His white tee shirt stretched across his muscles while contrasting against his olive skin.

"Sorry, are you okay?", his voice was deep, but cheerful. I was okay, but his crooked smile made it all the more okay.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It wasn't your fault, I wasn't looking where I was going", I continue to rub my head.

"I've never seen you here before, are you new?" I couldn't help but notice his eyes roaming down my body causing my face to grow hot.

"Yeah, I'm Victoria", I extend my hand out. "It's my first rehearsal".

His own hand reaches for mine and they feel rough, like a working man's hands. "Jacob", he smiles. "I'll see you around, be careful". He gives me a quick wink and disappears behind the curtain.

***

VICTORIA POV

"Victoria, you're on in five!", the director shouts at me from backstage. I could barely hear her as I was finishing up the last few touches of my makeup in the dressing room.

"More glitter", I say to myself, dabbing ferociously at my face. The hot mirror lights were making my anxiety flare up. I blow out a deep breath, unsuccessfully releasing my nervousness.

The backstage was pure chaos as the production crew ran rampant back and forth, warning everyone of the time left before their act. Other performers were either stretching or hastily throwing on their costumes.

"Two minutes!", the assistant director shouts at me. I shoot up from my seat and dash out onto the stage. I fidget with my baton in hand, twirling it between my fingers. I can feel a lump in the back of my throat when I hear the chatter of the audience as they fill the theatre.