13. Pad Thai

BENJI POV

"Okay, I think we've gone over everything with all the vendors, but let's double check", I motion to the party planner. "The party's only a week away so make sure all the the RSVPs are in by the end of the day". Since I'm managing the hotel, my father had put me in charge of the arrangements. With my day-to-day duties along with the planning, I've been busy with work. Normally, I wouldn't mind having so much to do, but that meant my time with Victoria was limited to quick lunches and hallway passing for the past couple weeks. Not to mention, we finally had agreed to take our relationship public, but I was too busy to do that.

"Benji", my father raps on the door. "I need a minute of your time". It was almost time for my lunch and I was expecting Vicky to be here any minute. I try to hide my disappointment as I motion for him to come in.

My dad takes a seat on the leather couch in my sitting area as I take mine across from him.

"How's the party arrangements going along", he asks. He leans over to the coffee table, reaching to pour himself a glass of scotch.

"Fine", I say curtly. My father and I have never gotten along, but I could help but be cold around him ever since our exchange about the tabloid. I lean into my seat, wanting this little meeting to end soon.

He takes a quick sip of his drink and swirls the liquid in his glass. "Have you decided who you're bringing to the event?" He takes another sip and I prevent myself from rolling my eyes. My father was constantly trying to coax me into dating his business partner's daughters and every time I'd turn him down. I would use those girls just to get laid and never call them again, but that was a different me. Now all I could think about V and how I wouldn't give anything to stay by her side.

"I know where you're going with this, Dad", I roll my head back onto my chair.

"Mitch Reynolds, he's the president of the Reynolds hedge fund company. He's got a daughter, Cecilia—"

"Not interested", I say, my head still on the chair. "Not everything is a business transaction, Dad".

He clears his throat as he moves around in his seat. "She's good looking, lives in the Palms so she's close by—"

"Dad!", I shout. I rub my forehead and blow out a sigh. "Money isn't everything, outward appearances isn't everything". I really didn't know where I was wanting to go with this, but I couldn't hold back my annoyance anymore.

"Oh, Benjamin. You naive boy", he chuckles. He takes one last sip of his scotch and smacks it down on the table. I could feel my hands tighten their grip on my seat as I wait for him to speak. "When are you going to learn that appearance is everything? For example: if you were someone else's son, you'd be nothing. But here you are, Philip Blair's son and look at you. You're running an empire".

I scoff at his words, but have none of my own to say. Before I could even process my own thoughts, I hear a quiet knock on the door.

"Hey, Benji. Ready to—"

Victoria stops midway and looks over at the couch to see my father sitting.

"Oh", she clears her throat. "I'm sorry, I didn't know you had company. Hi, I'm Victoria Muller". She comes over and extends her hand.

Being the outwardly personable character that he was, he shakes her hand. "Nice to meet you, Victoria. I'm Philip, I'm Benji's father", he lets out a fake smile. I notice him give Victoria a once over and I already know he's judging her.

"Don't you have a meeting to go to?", I chime in, pinching the bridge of my nose in frustration.

Get out. Just. Get. Out.