21. Worlds

VICTORIA POV

"God, how could I be so stupid", I say to myself, hastily throwing on my costume. "I was dumb to even think he'd want to see me, let alone talk to me". The zipper on my top gets stuck and I'm too upset to release the jam.

"Victoria!", the stage assistant knocks on my door. "You and Jacob are on in five!"

"Okay!", I shout though the door.

I finally get the zipper up and smooth out my top. I quickly brush my hair and set it down on the vanity. I place my palms on the desk, leaning against it.

"Get yourself together, V", I say to myself as I stare into my reflection. Tears are coming back now, welling up in the corners of my eyes. I take a deep breath, fighting the tears from coming out.

I head on over behind the curtain where Jacob is waiting for me. I nervously twirl my baton as he looks to me and smiles.

"Ready?", he grins.

I nod as I take my place on the opposite side of the stage while Jacob does the same.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1

The heavy curtains rise, blowing a gust of air through my hair and revealing an excited crowd. The applause helps me concentrate on the show.

The music starts out slow as Jacob and I slowly stride in circles, staying away from each other. Our eyes lock on one another as we move away our bodies to the rhythm. We both take in a mouthful of fuel in unison, bringing the fiery batons to our lips. The flames burst towards the ceiling and the cheers of the crowd ring in my ears.

The music becomes faster now, encouraging us to come together. Jacob's hand rests firmly on my lower back as I spin. I close my eyes, feeling my pulse in my ears and the sweat forming on my skin. The music shakes my bones and the faster we go, the more emotion I pour into my act.

As I spin, I think about the whirlwind my life has been. I think of Benji and how he'd changed my perception of people. I think of his smile and how he somehow managed to burst through the steel walls of my heart. The more I think of him, the more passion I drive into my performance. As we finally come down to our final steps, Jacob twirls me into him as I push my body into his. I gently rest my hand on his chest, looking up at his face. Jacobs eyes meet mine, his chest heaving. The music fades out as the audience cheers, and he kisses me.

The curtains fall and I pull away, shocked. Before I could even react, Jacob grabs my hand.

"I'm sorry", he whispers. "I kissed you because I needed to to answer a question that's been nagging the back of my mind". His expression is a deep sadness, so I let him hold my hand.

"What question were you trying to answer?", I ask softly.

He takes my other hand, looking deep into my eyes. The sadness is still there and now I could feel it surge through his fingertips. "I wanted to know if you had any sort of feelings at all, even if it was just a small part of you or the possibility of you ever wanting me", he says quietly.

"Did you find your answer?"

He blows out a sigh. He brings me close, his mouth close to my ear. "You love someone, Victoria", he whispers. "But that someone will never be me". He gently lets go of my hands and kisses my cheek only to walk away.

I stand there, watching leave when I suddenly feel someone grab my arm and snatch me away.

"Benji!?", I shout. He's pulling me by the arm, speeding and weaving through people around us. "Where are you taking me!?" My shouting is no use as he's too busy pushing through the crowd of the lobby now.