12. Target

VICTORIA POV

"Ughhh, Faye!", I growl into my pillow. "What am I gonna doooo!?" I roll around my bed, wishing the sheets would swallow me up. Benji had asked me the other day to attend the hotel's investor party or as I liked to call it, "The Celebration of Snobby Rich People and Their Money". I honestly didn't want to go, but I couldn't bear to say no after we'd just reconciled. We haven't been able to go out in public together because of my own insecurities and Benji was more than accommodating. I promised him that I'd work hard for him and I guess I was starting with this party.

"God, Vicky", Faye spits out in disgust, rifling through my closet. "Look at this shit! Everything's black or gray! Half your shirts are from the thrift store and I'm pretty sure you bought these jeans back when we were in high school". She turns to me, her hands on her hips.

"Oh, shut up. I'm sure I have something in there I can wear to the party". I climb off the bed and over next to Faye. "Here", I say as I pick out a mid length black dress. "I can wear this".

Faye grabs the hanger with just her thumb and index finger. "Get that shit out of my face!", she shouts as she tosses it toward the garbage can in the corner. "V, c'mon! You wore that to middle school homecoming, you freaking cheap ass psycho!"

"Faye!", I run over to pick up the dress and dust it off. She runs over to me and snatches the dress out of my hand and stuffs it into the bin. "Hey!", I whine in defeat.

She grabs my arms and spins me around, pushing me out of the bedroom and into the living room. She grabs our purses off the counter, shoving mine into my chest as she hands it to me. "We're going fucking shopping! Don't!—" she wags a finger at me. "Don't start with me! It's not a question, we're going!"

She grabs my arm as she drags me along with her out the door. We walk down the stairs with her hand still gripped around my arm like I was a child who was being punished. Faye opens the passenger door and throws me into the seat as I sit there, sulking.

"Faye, I don't want—", I whine but before I could finish, she slams the door in my face and I sink into my seat in defeat.

*Ping* I look down at my phone and see that I Benji texted me.

Benji: enjoying your day off?

Me: absolutely not. faye has gone crazy, taking me shopping.

Benji: you don't sound excited about it, what kind of woman hates shopping?

Me: this woman! she's trying find me a dress for the party

Benji: you could wear a trash bag and you'd still be beautiful ;)

Seeing his sweet words just melt my heart. Luckily for Faye, it puts me in a better mood and it actually makes me a little excited about finding a dress. I wanted to, for Benji. I didn't want to be Trailer Trash Vicky for him, I wanted to be Victoria Muller.

Faye has been jamming out to terrible ska music the entire way to the mall and I jump out as soon as she puts the car in park. She drags me all over the mall, going into any store that looked like they carried expensive dresses.

Nordstrom. Saks Fifth Avenue. Bloomingdales.

Our last stop is some fancy store we've never seen here before. We walk through the wide glass doors, greeted by sleek white walls and marble counter tops. Each one had a glass vase filled with white roses. The walls we're lined with endless racks of dresses and even the hand sanitizer sitting at register looked like it wasn't in my budget.