6. Galaxies

VICTORIA POV

"You what!?", Faye shouts at me over breakfast.

"I high-fived him! Don't make me say it again", I groan as I slam my forehead on the kitchen table. I've been doing a lot of that lately. 

"God, that's embarrassing. You fuckin' goob!", Faye is cackling at this point. My face grows hot with embarrassment that not even the cool surface of this table can fix. "Why? Why did I do that?"

"Oh, stop. You know why. You haven't gotten laid since college and now this hunk of man-meat wants your body, you don't know how to react to that. Hell, I wouldn't either. He's intimidating", she says, taking a bite of her bacon.

"Faye, shut the fuck up", I pick my head back up just to roll my eyes at her. "he's not intimidating".

"Oh, really?" Faye raises an eyebrow. "Did you know that he's worth almost a billion dollars!? The guys loaded. He's got like, 10 cars and a beach house i'm Greece. Ugh. Consider yourself lucky, Babe".

Lucky. I hated when she said that. Luck was a myth where I came from. It was a bedtime story parents told you to make you have false hopes and dreams of getting out of the trailer park. No, I wasn't feeling lucky at all to be hanging out with Benji Blair. I was feeling burdened and out of place.

My mind reverts back to last night when we stood in front of my door. Never in my life was I as nervous as I was standing in front of Benji Blair. At the time, I wasn't aware of just how wealthy he was. It wasn't the money that intimidated me, it was what was happening between us. Standing there before him, I could feel that same pull I felt when I saw him in the theatre. I could see the look in his eyes, I could feel them trail to my lips.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want him to kiss me, but it was complicated. My feelings, our surroundings were complicated. He was my boss and his money defined who he was. I was just some poor girl from the trailer park. What can a girl with nothing give to a man that has everything? I've always lived unapologetically and unashamed. But for the very first time, someone was making me feel vulnerable and insecure and I hated it.

I hated it as much as I liked the way he made me feel. I hated that he made me think differently about myself, like I wasn't enough. And it's not like he did it on purpose which only made it that much worse.

Besides all of my doubts, last night was the most fun I've had in a long time. We'd come from two different worlds, no, galaxies and yet our chemistry was unforced. Easy. It was the first thing I didn't have to work hard for.

***

BENJI POV

I woke up in a good mood for the first time today. I dreamt of our time together and it put a smile on my face. A genuine, possibly creepy smile because everyone knows I'm bad at it. I turn over in the bed and suddenly hated being alone. I wanted her here, I wanted her next to me. I hated sharing this bed with anyone, so the thought of wanting her in it made me think. This girl had a hold on me and I didn't mind it. I finally had a taste of something real and I wanted more. I wanted her.

I grab my phone off my nightstand.

Me: i can come pick you up and take you to work :)

victoria: already at work.

What a hard worker.

I get myself ready for the day and find myself spending too much time in front of the closet. I wanted to look good for her. I settle on a navy suit with a gray tie. Perfect.