1.

cover by @Asher_Were

***

I have been roaming around the earth for centuries now, alone and empty inside, I'm a wolf but everywhere I go, no one accepts me and I don't belong anywhere. I'm cursed. I am feared and even though time has passed and legends have faded, even though nobody else remembers who I am, their instincts stay the same and no one dares to get closer.

The murmur of my black Chevrolet Chevelle FF4 makes me purr. My fingers glide delicately along the leather of the steering wheel. My heart beats steadily. My gaze falls on the three cars around me, today might not be as easy as I thought. The Red Mazda RX7 in front of me and the white and black GT40 and yellow Nissan GT-R R35 on each side of my car could make for some competition. I smile.

This should be fun.

I have no intention to lose, today's reward is way too interesting to let it pass. Five grands. Well actually I don't really need the money, being as old as I am, sadly, I've had time to save up enough for a lifetime or two. I'm here for the adrenaline, the risks, the danger. I dont remember how many times my cars went flying out the road, with me bleeding and laughing like a crazy person, only waiting for the next rush. A shrink would say I seek the attention of my father, let's just call him creator shall we ? Up in the sky I'm sure he can see just fine, if only he cared.

A bimbo in a tight shirt and a mini skirt walks ahead with a flag. I roll my eyes.

They watch too many movies.

Still, my grip tightens, my foot at the ready on the pedal, my stare concentrating solely on the girl. She brings the flag seductively above her head, looking at the red car in front of me. That's a nice car, been there, done that, I'd choose my Chevrolet every time over it though. For a second I wonder who's inside. The moment passes and I forget all about it when she quickly and swiftly splits the air in front of her with the flag. My foot crashes on the pedal and I'm propelled against my seat, feeling the power of the motor in every fiber of my being. My car roars to life around me and I'm soaring through the vehicles, fast like the predator I am. I can see my eyes shining brightly in the rearview mirror from the excitement as I turn at the curve on the road and sneak between the GT40 and the Nissan GT-R. I can hear them curse with my enhanced ears but pay them no mind.

Sore losers.

I concentrate on the last car before me. I quickly change gears to speed up, now glued to its rear. Maybe it'll intimidate him. The car speeds up.

Well then.

I slide to the right trying to overtake him.

"Not happening". I hear his low voice from my seat as he positions his car in my way.

He wants to play, nice. He's in for the surprise of his life. I try to estimate how much time's left. Two right turns and one left before the finish line. I try to sneak to his left but he gets in my way again. I smile. He thinks he can keep this up until the end. I start slaloming from left to right still increasing my pace. We turn two time and he's still in front of me, the red of his car, brightly screaming its power, I can almost feel his pride, he thinks he has won already. I can see the last turn ahead. I move to the right and he follows suit. I wait for him to engage in the turn and suddenly slide back on the left before powerfully pulling the hand brake up, the wheels screeching on the road as I'm head to head with him. My foot hits the accelerator and the car screams as I speed down to the finishing line never glancing back but not missing his frustrated growl.

I slow down the car in front of the stands that arranged the race. I try to calm my excitement so that my eyes don't glow anymore. Wolves eyes usually shine bright yellow but mine are a deep red in my wolf form. Once again a reminder that I don't belong. I let my long raven hair loose and ruffle it a little before getting out of the car and stroking the metallic vehicle lovingly.