38.

"Jared !" I shout, rushing out to him. He's laying on the grass, Leila pushing her hands over his chest to stop the bleeding.

No no no no no.

'He's losing too much blood.' My wolf warns.

"Hang on Jared. Just hang on." Leila orders looking him straight in the eyes.

I fall on my knees beside them, searching for any other wound. There isn't one apart from that gushing hole in his chest. I bring trembling hands to his face so he sees me.

"You heard the doc." I grit my teeth. "She's going to help you so you have to fight, alright ?"

I glance at her and she's still putting pressure on the wound, her lips pursed in anger, when her eyes meet mines I can finally see the panic in them, the desperation. My blood turns cold and my lungs hurt.

"I'm going to die, aren't I ?" Jared murmurs and my head snaps back to him.

"No." I answer stubbornly.

"I can't feel anything. It doesn't hurt anymore." He tries to smile, his breaths becoming ragged.

I look at Leila again, silently asking for anything I can do. Surely there is something I can help with : stop the bleeding or give him my own blood. Or we could force him to transform, that might speed the healing process maybe. Or there are some kinds of herbs that would help, a concoction of some sort. I'm desperate, pleading with her to tell me what to do. She shakes her head, tears starting to roll down her cheeks and my mind becomes blank. I turn back to Jared, watching all his features, his lips, the beauty mark along his jaw, the small white scar crossing his right brow and his deep beautiful gray eyes.

"You know, looking closely I think you're handsome." I try to joke but it sounds weird.

"I told you I don't like it when you're so nice." He frowns and my heart breaks as I remember the last time he was hurt.

"Then stop worrying me so much." I clench my jaws frowning.

"Do you think I'll get to see her again ?" He questions calmly, searching my eyes and I know he's talking about his mate.

"Why can't you stay right here with me ?" I glare gently.

He starts to cough blood when he laughs.

"I'm scared." He whispers his eyes shining, full of fear.

"I know." I nod and put my forehead against his. "I know." I repeat in a whisper. "But it's going to be fine. You'll see." I fight against the tears burning my eyes.

"Thank you." He breathes.

"For what ?" My voice breaks as I look at his face.

"For deciding to be my friend. For showing me how big this world truly is. Thank you for protecting the people I love."

"You are my people." I tell him honestly.

"I'm fine now, I'm not scared anymore." He closes his eyes and I listen to his heart slowing down. "I think I'll watch over you for a while." He decides smirking softly.

"You do that and I'll be right there to teach you another lesson." I threaten halfheartedly.

"That's more like it." He laughs again and his heart stops beating, the last sound disappearing in the wind.

My body starts to shake uncontrollably as I bring a bloody hand to my mouth to contain my cries. My vision is blurry and I can't see his face clearly anymore. Everything hurts, every fiber of my being is burning up, I feel like my heart is being torn out of my chest and that my bones are shattering under all the sadness I feel. My ears are ringing, my head is pounding and my breaths uneven. I notice a flash of light in the air before Ogon comes landing next to the body watching it softly. It bends over to nuzzel against Jared's shoulder, expecting him to react in some way but nothing happens. We both wait silently for him to move. But nothing happens.