40. Bonus Chapter

Unknown POV

I look at the books, carefully, assessing them. There are a lot of books here, big and small, brown, black, red, old, smelly, soft and hard, fragile ones. I know a lot of them, the stories in them, the adventures they recount, the monsters they hold and the secrets they hide.

I dream about them every night and wish to find more of them everyday. I want to fight a dragon, run on a unicorn's back and find the gold of the leprechauns. I want to sail the seas with Captain Black Beard and dance with the yetis.

I walk in another section, scan the books. One has a beautiful color, yellow. It seems soft but strong at the same time. I push on my tiptoes and try to grab it but it's too high. I groan and stretch my hand more. It doesn't work so I climb the first shelves. Finally my fingers brush against its spine and with quivering hands I take it out. I jump back down nimbly and sit on the floor. I open the book and turn the pages. I frown. I don't understand what is written in here. This makes me even more curious. I get up quickly.

"Grandma, grandma !" I shout scurrying out of the room.

I run in the corridors through the house, glide down the stairs and follow the sweet scents of cookies. I step quickly into the kitchen. Grandma is wiping her floured hands on her apron. I can see her long gray hair tided into a loose bun. She smiles at me as she turns around. She has a lot of wrinkles on her face but she says she likes every one of them. I think that's weird. I look around but grandpa isn't there. I notice the cookies on the counter. Slowly I walk to her, pretend to look at what she's doing. She's baking a cake. She adds an egg in the bowl. I take a step to the side. Then another. Soon, but not soon enough the cookies are in reach. Without a sound I lift my arm discreetly.

I'm almost there. I can smell the delicious biscuit calling for me. It wants me to eat it. So really I'm just doing what I'm told.

"Don't even think about it Dawn." She says in a singsong voice beside me. "You know your mom doesn't want you to eat after diner." She adds without looking at me.

I groan and roll my eyes. Mom says that my teeth will fall off if I eat too many sweets. That's silly. Plus, they would just grow back because I'm a werewolf. Reluctantly I bring my empty hand back to my side and squeeze the book I'm holding.

"Grandma I found the book I want to read tonight." I tell her jumping up and down.

She pours the contents of the bowl in a cake mold and puts it in the hot oven.

"We have thirty minutes." She announces.

I grab her hand and pull her in the hall and up the stairs to my room. Her hand is soft and small but mine is smaller. Once inside I jump in my bed and get comfortable. This is important. Grandma says that we have to be sprawled on the bed to enjoy a story. She lays down beside me, on her stomach, grinning at me. I give her the book and hold my breath. She looks at it surprised before caressing it fondly.

"Did you look inside ?" She asks in a whisper.

I nod and frown.

"I cant read it."

"Don't worry. Your grandpa can't read it either. If you want I'll teach you."

I nod in agreement. I have to speak a lot of languages if I want to go on journeys around the world.

Grandma starts to laugh happily.

"I haven't seen this book in a really long time." She explains with a bright smile. "What do you think this is about ?"

I push on my elbows to see the book better. There are only a few pictures, of men and wolves. I look at one of them.

"The wolf has the same eyes as me." I say in surprise.

"Like mines too." She adds, her eyes shining briefly and I grin at her.

She goes back to the first page, looks intently at the first signs written there. She seems lost in her thoughts. She looks back at me and smiles kindly. Then she clears her throat and start reading in a soft crystalline voice.

"Long, long ago, the Moon and the Sun shared the sky." She starts her eyes glowing red.

[THE END]