8.

The silence encompasses me, I could hear a moss fly. The tension is at its utmost.

I wait.

My breath is jerky, my heart beating strong in my chest. My leg keeps on twitching even when I place my hand over it to try and force it to stop. I run my tongue over my lips.

"This chair is really uncomfortable." I grumble.

The door opens and Nate enters his office. He walks to his seat behind the desk.

"So. Have you calmed down a little ?"

I have been locked up in the room for an hour, with nothing to do. I considered breaking down the door, opening the window forcefully with a chair, or a desk. But in the end I decided to wait quietly. Fifteen minutes passed, then half an hour and by the time the clock showed forty five minutes had passed, I was ready do go through a wall again.

Right now I am more pissed and frustrated than before. Jared and I were ready to fight, right outside the building, between the trees. But Nate felt the need to interfere. He ordered Jared to take a hike and brought me to his bureau. He left me with a tray of food five seconds later, locking me inside.

Unbelievable.

"I'm going to break every bone of his body." I inform him calmly.

"You can't do that." He sighs exasperated.

"Why not ?"

"Because I said you can't. He rolls his eyes and I mimic him. "You can't but" He hesitates.

"But ?"

"How about some kind of arm wrestling ?" He offers

"Are you kidding me ? Arm wrestling ? This is ridiculous !" I exclaim as I get up and walk to the door ready to find Jared on my own and settle this.

"Then how about some kind of trials ?"

I stop in my tracks, turn around and sit back slowly.

"I'm listening."

"When we want to welcome new wolves into the pack we organize trials."

I frown.

What is he talking about ?

"I don't want to be part of your pack."

"Why ?" He asks stubbornly with a hint of anger.

"I don't intend to stay here."

I see his jaw twitch and his eyes shine briefly but he continues.

"Everyone can participate, and the new wolf doesn't really have to win, it's just a way for him to show his strength and to impress the others. He becomes one of them and is accepted. It so happens that we have two new possible additions to the pack and we planned to organize the trials in two weeks. However since you seem so worked up we could push it up to tomorrow."

"I guess that's fine." I shrug.

"Alright then. For tonight go back to your room."

I get up once again.

"Hope, I really don't want you lingering in the halls." He adds as if I'm a kid that needs a reminder.

"Don't worry I won't." I swear rolling my eyes.

I might have sneaked out to the kitchen to grab an ice cream or two around three in the morning but no one needs to know that.

The next morning everyone is up and bustling around before the sun goes up in the sky. I'm not a morning person so I take my time getting ready lazily. I take a long shower, marveling in its warmth, put on a simple tight shirt and yoga pants to be able to move easily. I go eat breakfast with Jordan and his family. His father, Leo, seems to have accepted me since I saved his son's life and I'm pretty sure Jordan sugared it a little. I also meet his mother Tamara, she's a petite blond woman with brown eyes just like her son. I'm surprised at how calm and serene she is.