21.

"I assume you want to convince the Kitsune clan to join our ranks." Xavier inquires once we're safely back into his private jet.

"Yes." I nod. "They would be really great allies in the coming fight. If, as I'm guessing from what we saw here the other side is also gathering people from all around. The Kitsune's powers would be a serious advantage."

"I'm not sure we can succeed though." He sighs as both Nate and Leila listen intently to our conversation.

"Oh ?" I raise my brow.

"Well, you see, a few years ago, I tried to contact them under my father's command, we needed help with... things." He looks quickly to the side. "But they refused all together despite how much we tried to bargain with them. They wouldn't listen and nothing came of it. So I'm afraid this is a long shot and we shouldn't put too much hope into this."

"We'll have to wait and see then." I shrug.

"You said they have powers ?" Nate questions intrigued.

I look at my fingers, refusing to look at him, this is too complicated, I know he hasn't forgotten about yesterday night and he's only waiting for the right moment, biding his time. And to be honest I'm not sure what I'd tell him anymore. I hate lying to him. It feels like acid in my throat every time and my skin burns uncomfortably when I do so. Probably a part of the curse I hadn't had the pleasure to discover until now.

"Kitsune are children of the fox. There are not many of them anymore, only a few scarce clans in China and Japan. They are all from the same family. I guess you could see it as a big tree with its branches coming out of its trunk and spreading all over. The main branch is in Japan, in Tokyo to be more accurate. They are the ones in charge, making sure everyone follows the rules. I told you once that you can't differentiate them by their colors as you do with wolves but that you need to count their tails. The more tails they have, the stronger they are. Their leader always has nine tails and it is the sole factor in deciding on the next leader. Though usually the title stays in the family it has occurred before that a child of nine tails would be born outside of the Tokyo branch. In that case they are brought back to Japan to be raised as the next leader."

I look up as they all remain silent. They are all eagerly listening to my explanations. There is a strange glint in Xavier's eyes, I can't decipher it, can't put my finger on it. Is it curiosity ? Envy ? Jealousy ? But why though ? He will become alpha someday, once Lincoln retires or dies he will become the next leader of his pack. Just like for the foxes, he was born an alpha. It's in his blood, it's his right. Then why would he be envious. As I watch him closely his eyes shift to simple excitement. Maybe I'm putting too much thought into it.

'Or maybe he's just bitter because they refused to help him.'

"Their current leader is Nakamura Tatsuki," I continue "she's a direct descendant of Yuna-hime, the princess of the Moon. As for their powers they can manipulate electricity and are very skilled with martial arts."

"They can what ?" Nate exclaims.

"They manipulate electricity." I repeat myself.

"No, I heard you. But, how is that possible ? How does it work ?"

"Beats me." I shrug. "All I know is that they can send their opponent a jolt of electricity, it's coursing through their bodies and they command it at will."

"That's convenient."

"Never go swimming with them." I joke and they all roll their eyes.

Tough crowd.

'No, your jokes just suck.'

We fasten our belts when the pilot informs us that we are about to land and as I look out my window I can see the glittering lights of the city and the dark waters surrounding the airport. The plane rumbles for a few more second before becoming completely still. This time around we have to walk to the checkpoints before being allowed to enter the territory. I see Nate smile as the man behind the thick pane stamps on his passport before giving it back to him.

When the Sun meets the MoonOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara