《 TWENTY- EIGHT 》

《 What have I done? 》

Sunlight streamed through the window, warming my fingertips that sat on the armchair. I yawned and wiggled them, casting shadows on the ground.

I rolled my head to the side to glance at Austin, his eyes were still shut and breathing even.
Even in the morning light, his blonde hair sparkled and cast shadows across his cheek bones.

The blanket had been pushed down to his chest during the night and on display were his abs and scars. My eyes travelled down, mapping them. "Have you been here the whole time?" a raspy voice asked.

My eyes shot up and met his and I leaned foward. "You're awake" I whispered.

He smiled faintly. "You didn't answer my question" he replied.

My hand grasped his tightly. "Yes, I've been here all night" I replied.

He grasped my fingers back lightly. "You should have got some rest" he replied, his eyes studying my face.

"You shouldn't have jumped in front of a vampire and a fae" I replied.

Austin chuckled which turned into a cough. "Sorry, take it easy" I said, moving forward to kneel beside the bed.

"I only wanted to protect you, I'd do it again if I had to" he replied, his hand lifting up to caress my cheek.

"That's not necessary" I said, smiling gently.

He pushed hair behind my ear. "How is he? Did I hurt him?" Austin asked, his thumb swiping across my cheekbone.

I looked down. "I don't know, I haven't spoken to him" I said, sadness leaking into my voice.

"You're scared of him" Austin said gently.

"Can you blame me? He was going to kill me if you hadn't attacked him" I replied, looking up into his eyes again.

A moment passed and Austin leaned forward, pressing a kiss on my forehead. "I'll always protect you" he replied.

My eyes closed as he pulled away. "So what happened while I was out?" He asked, trying to sit up.

My eyes opened and I helped him sit up. "Nothing really, I haven't really left your side and I know the moment I leave this room, it's all going to hit me again" I replied, studying my nails.

"You can't avoid it forever" he replied.

"No, but I can postpone and make sure you're okay" I said, looking up.

"I'm okay, of course I'm okay, I'm a werewolf, I heal, besides, it sounds like I had a great nurse" he said smiling.

I rolled my eyes and couldn't help but smile back. "Taron used his powers to heal some of the scars Marcus had given you but you healed mostly" I said as he reached out for my hand again.