《 THIRTY-SIX 》

《 Staff of Sunlight 》

"What could go wrong?" I asked, looking between Dorian and Austin.

Dorian glanced at Austin in disbelief before looking back at me. "Your majesty, what could go wrong is a very stupid question, you could die!" He exclaimed.

"That's a price to pay and a solution, but it would mean faeries can live in peace" I replied.

Austin started forward. "It would be caotic, you're the Queen, with the your mother already gone and no heir, the lands could fall into a state of disarray" Austin replied, crossing his arms.

"They will have you and Saorise" I replied.

Dorian rolled his eyes. "A handmaiden and a werewolf, that's great leadership for faeries" he replied sarcastically.

Austin shot him a glare. "That's beside the point, you are the Queen and it's our job to protect you" he said, looking at me.

I sighed and stood up, walking over to the wide window that overlooked the gardens. "There's only one way to take them down and that's with the staff" I said.

"What if it's not real, Austin couldn't find it, what if the staff is really an object of myth, what then?" Dorian asked, glancing at my other half.

He agreed with the fae. "Than we have a back up plan, and if that fails then we'll have plan c, you know the alphabet" I replied, turning around to look at them.

Austin pressed his mouth into a thin line. "This is not Queen behaviour" he said simply.

I raised my eyebrows in question. "Sacrificing myself for my people is not Queen behaviour?" I asked, a threat low in my tone.

Austin stood strong. "A Queen would know that her people need a ruler not someone who's willing to sacrifice themselves, the people need a Queen" he replied..

Dorian fell silent as I stared at Austin. "Leave us" I said quickly.

Dorian bowed his head and backed out of the room. Austin crossed his arms. "We cannot let personal feelings get in the way of our duties" I said quickly..

Austin shook his head before looking away. "What?" I asked.

"Diana, you don't understand, I may be in love with you but this is not coming from me, these fae need your guidance and ruling to keep the peace here, sacrificing yourself with no heir is problematic and could cause total chaos, is that what you want?" He asked, angry.

"No.." I trailed off.

"I was an Alpha once, I know what's it like when the leader disappears, the pack went askew" he replied, looking at me again.

I turned back to the window. "So what? You want me to sacrifice someone else because of me?" I asked.

"No" he said before sighing.

I turned to look at him as he raised his head, a somber expression on his face. "Let me do it" he said, taking a step closer.

My heart flew from my chest. "Absolutely not" I said, squashing that ridiculous thought.

"I'm a werewolf, I'm no use to the fae here and I've been in combat" he said, trying to convince me.

"No!" I exclaimed.

"Diana, let me do this, for the fae people, for you" he said, his eyes pleading.

"No, if you think I will lose you than you are insane!" I exclaimed.

Austin gave me a knowing look and I sighed. Right, this was how he felt when I did this.
"Diana, I think you are forgetting one important fact" Austin said, walking over to me.

I frowned at me. "You are part vampire, you cannot touch the Staff" he said.

Realisation hit me and looked down at my hands. "Let me do this, for us, I'll be okay, I heal remember?" He said, trying to sport a smile.

It faded quickly. He reached out and touched my cheek, pulling my eyes to his. "I'll be fine" he said.

I couldn't help the wave of sadness that rocked me. He leant in slowly, drawing a breath before pressing his lips against mine gently. He left a simple kiss against my lips before pulling back and stroking my cheek. I opened my eyes to look at him.

"Promise me you'll be careful" I said, a little scared.

"I promise" he replied, pulling away.

He stepped back before walking out of the room, leaving me to the empty air that smelt faintly like old books and pine trees.
I turned back to the window, biting the nail on my thumb.

~

"My Queen, I present to you, the Staff of Sunlight" Dorian said, almost sadly as three fae walked in.

I stood up from my throne and looked at Dorian in shock. "Where did you find it?" I asked.

"Your mother did indeed have it, locked away in a vault, it seems your mother was quite the myth collector, she has quite the collection" Dorian replied..

The three men stopped in front of me. I reached my hand out to touch it before remembering Austin's words.
I pulled my hand back. "Dorian, get Austin immediately" I ordered.

He nodded and disappeared.

I studied the staff. It was was about two meters long and was carved with runes. A yellow gem sat on one end, surrounded by purple gems. I was fascinated with the object. "What does it say?" I asked, hoping one of the men could decipher the runes.

They all shrugged. I heard running footsteps and Austin emerged, closely followed by Dorian.

Austin reached out for the staff and almost hesitated. He took it anyway, from the men who took a few steps back. I frowned at them.
Austin studied the runes. "These are wolf runes, why would there be wolf runes on a fae staff?" He asked, looking up at the three men.

"I wouldn't know" one of them replied.

"What does it say?" I asked, curious..

"The one who wields the staff, is the one who ends the night, power be stronger with wolf hands but still be strong in a fight" he quoted.

He looked up. "My deciphering might be a bit off" he said, shrugging one shoulder.

"It means that the power of the staff ends the night, which means Vampires because they are the night children, the power of the staff is stronger in wolf hands because really only a wolf can kill a vampire but it's still a strong staff if the wielder is not a wolf" Dorian said, rolling his eyes.

I glanced at Austin who glanced at me. "Good thing I'm the one wielding then.." he replied.

My jaw shut tight. "So when do we begin?" Austin asked.

A/N

HI hello!
It's been a little while for this book!
I haven't forgotten it I promise!
I'm distracted by my other books
(Do check them out)

Anyway, I guess Austin is going to be our mighty hero!
Did you see that coming?

What did you think of the chapter?
Don't forget to vote and comment!

Lots and lots of love, T xoxoxox