02

"Mister Luin. What is that black box on your back", a young blonde haired dwarf, Luin was pretty sure that he was called Fili, asked. The party were making their way from Rivendale and Luin could see the beautiful elven city fading in the distance. It left a slight pang of sadness and excitement thrumming in his chest. They had left early, leaving Gandalf to speak with Elrond before catching up. He had reassured Luin that he would quickly return to them and that he would be fine with the dwarfs. Although, judging by Thorin's sharp glare, he was beginnings to doubt that.

Luin had left Rivendale quietly. He had paid his brief farewells to Arwen and Elrond before packing lightly and catching up with The dwarves. Thorin had grimaced and glared at him but did not verbally protest, which Luin took as half hearted permission to come. It did not pain him to leave what had been his home for so long. But it was a bit bittersweet despite the fact that he was used to moving on and constantly traveling. When he was young he never stayed in a place for more than a month. Now his soul, not his body which still was as youthful as the day he arrived, was older, he found that he was able to form easier attachments but also break them just as quickly.  Arwen was probably the one that knew him the best other than Gandalf, being the closest thing to a sibling that Luin knew due to their close ages. Some would say that Luin was cold and unfeeling. The truth was that he always expected things to go wrong, never better. It had saved him many more times than he could count.

"It's a case", Luin hummed, mind whirring with eager excitement. The instrument in the case was calling to him, making his hands itch. It had been a while since he had used it but the case gleamed as if it was freshly polished.

"A case for what?" Fili's twin, Kili questioned. He had attracted the attention of a few of the other dwarfs and now they were eyeing the case quizzically.

"I bet it's a weapon", Fili voiced excitedly. "A huge sword or axe".

"I hope it's food", Bomber, a rather round dwarf, smiled wistfully.

"It's a instrument. A musical instrument called a guqin , as well as a few changes of clothing", Luin answered with a laugh. There were a collective groan of disappointment.

"Luin, What is a guqin?" Bilbo asked curiously. Luin smiled down at the small hobbit.

"I would show you but we need to keep moving. Let's just say that it's magic, like Gandalf's fireworks", he winked at the group, who looked excited.

"Hurry up back there!" Thorin's grumpy voice called back to the small group. Luin pulled a mocking face before speeding up. His long strides easily outpacing the dwarves.

"How old are you lad?" Balin asked as Luin reached the front of the group. He probably the oldest dwarf amongst them, although he certainly did not let that stop him.

"I don't really know", Luin thought out loud. "I have been here for a good seven or eight hundred years, maybe even a thousand years, but I have not aged. I'm not an elf but I seem to age like one. My parents were immortals so it is possible for me to be one as well. Although physically, I think about twenty two". He brought a leather tie from a pocket in his robes and began to tie back his  waist length black hair. His fine fingers wove it into a fishtail braid which started from the top of his head. It was with a skilful ease that did not ruin his pace. The black ebony tresses gleamed in the light, setting off his lightly tanned skin as he plaited it.

"And Gandalf has been training you to be his apprentice since you arrived? You're not from middle earth? Where are you from?" Bilbo asked without thinking. When he noticed, he gave Luin a shocked glance. "Sorry that was dreadfully rude of me".

"It's alright young Bilbo", Luin smiled, warming up to the lovable hobbit. "Yes. Gandalf was the first person I met when I arrived. He found that I could use magic and I have been his apprentice ever since. With regards to where I'm from however, let's just say that it's a land far over the seas". And after that Luin would say no more despite the younger dwarfs numerous questions. He merely sped up, his long legs easily loosing them, a small smile playing on his lips.