14

The room they put Luin in was a large guest room. Legolas led him to the door where two guards were standing outside.  They straightened as the prince approached. Luin caught them both trying not to stare. Legolas gave them both a look and the guards turned back to staring straight ahead, before opening the door and showing Luin inside.

It was a light and airy room. With large windows and pale wood decor. There was a burning fire in the stone hearth and a large four poster bed stood against the wall. In front of the hearth was two green armchairs and oak coffee table. The furniture all carved with the vine like designs of elf craftsmanship. The skill and beauty mixing soothingly with the green colours and golden light of the setting sun streaming through the window. Luin stepped in and placed his case on the table. He turned to look at Legolas, who was lingering in front of the closed door.

"Is there something you wish to ask?" Luin queried. Voice not harsh, but not soft either.

Legolas hesitated for a moment before opening his mouth. Luin admired his pale blue eyes and moonlight hair. The prince really was the image of elven royalty. "When I said I had seen you in my dreams", Legolas said slowly. "You were surprised but familiar. Have you also been having dreams?"

Luin paused to consider his reply, turning his gaze to the window. The sky outside was rapidly darkening, casting shadows over the room. The fire glowing with light, giving a orange sheen to his skin. "Yes I have also had dreams. Dreams of you. Although I did not know who you were, did not recognise you until the forest", Luin confessed. He did not look at Legolas' face.

"What did you see?" The prince asked.

Luin looked up caught Legolas' eye. "You were running through the forest, across the branches ahead of me. No matter what I could not catch up, or get you to stop. I would ask who you were, if you could wait. But you always stayed out of reach". Luin trialed his fingers across the top of the armchair as he broke off nervously, eyes dancing back down to the floor.

Legolas was silent. Face seeming to be considering the information, absorbing it. Luin knew elves. They showed emotions differently to humans. They reminded him of his own people. Respect, honour and pride being a important part of their culture. It was easier to repress and obey, than rebel. Elves lived for so long that it was hard for them to change. He wondered if Legolas was doomed to be like his father.

"Ever out of reach", Legolas echoed under his breath. "Do you have any idea what those dreams mean?" He asked. Luin looked up at the elf's face for a moment before hurriedly looking away.

"No". He had an guess, but he didn't want to tell the Prince. "I am tired lord Legolas. May I retire and clean up from my travel?"

Legolas nodded hurriedly, as if just aware that it was late. "Yes. I shall have the servants run you a bath. Have a good evening Luin the blue", he said with a short bow. Luin bowed back as Legolas left the room. When he looked up, he noticed that the prince had left his jade swords leaning by the door. They were unharmed and Luin smiled at the thought.

Now alone, Luin sighed and flopped back onto the bed. It was excitingly bouncy and he rolled on it for a minute. The rich blankets and plush mattress were like heaven after such long travel. It even beat Beorn's guest bed, the straw mattress paled in comparison. The sheets were a pale cream, stitched with the familiar design of trees and leaves around the corners. He half heartedly apologised in his mind for rolling on them in his dirty clothes, but it was too tempting. 

A knock at the door prompted Luin sit up, straightening his robes. He called to come in and a group of servants bustled in with a wooden tub. They set the tub on the floor in front of the hearth and several more servants entered with huge jugs of hot water. The servants were silvian elves, with hair of brown or ginger and uniforms of dark green. Luin could see them fighting the urge to stare at him as they passed. Eye darting to him in curiosity before turning back to the floor. Each of them bowed before leaving the room.

When the door had closed after them, Luin bounced off of the bed and disrobed. The bath was that perfect temperature and he submerged himself up to his chin with a breath of relief. The elves had sprinkled herbs and petals on the water. They gave off a fragrant smell of rose and bergamot. One of the elves had left new clothes on the bed and Luin eyed his pile of robes from the water mournfully. They were unfortunately ruined. Too ripped, torn and stained to be much use. The Mirkwood and those spiders really had done a number to his robes.

Ignoring the annoyed thoughts, Luin began untangling his now messy plait. He thought at his hands moved, considering the events of the past few hours. King Thranduil was obviously intrigued by him. He was interested in the rarity of Luin and his skills. It was more like a child with a new toy rather than with a separate person. Luin didn't know if he was repulsed or annoyed by the treatment. Both, he decided with a loud huff, he was both. But at lest it meant that the king was less likely to kill him, especially since he was a wizard. However, it did not aid their quest. Luin would have to find a away of breaking the dwarves out of the dungeons. Maybe during the celebration he was supposed to play in tomorrow? But what about Legolas-

Luin dunked his head underwater with a splash, hair fanning out around him like a black wave. He scrubbed at his face furiously to remove the sweat and grime. The servants had left soap in a dish on the floor and he scooped it up angrily. He would not think about the prince, he decided as he rubbed the soap along his skin. That blonde elf had taken up too much of his mind recently with the dreams. It was more than he deserved, Luin thought. He wasn't here to be a interesting new pet for some stuck up prince, no matter if they dreamt of each other. That didn't change a thing!

Now clean and smelling delightful, Luin rose from the cool water and towelled himself dry. The clothes the servants had left was only nightwear. He held up the simple white nightshirt with a raised eyebrow. Luin didn't really wear night shirts, preferring to sleep in his trousers and inner robes. The light nightshirt seemed to little somehow. Even though, when he pulled it on, it came down to his knees. Feeling slightly too breezy, Luin grabbed his trousers from the floor. They were more salvageable than his robes since they were mostly covered up. The legs were ruined from at lest the knee down. Luin eyed them before grabbing his swords. He sliced them off at mid thigh and pulled them on under the nightshirt. The shirt covered them but the added layer made Luin feel a bit better. Satisfied, he crawled up the length of the bed like a child before burrowing into the blankets. He was going to stay awake until the servants came to clear the bath, but he was warm and comfortable. He was asleep within minutes.