20

Luin was not aware of much of the journey to lake town. He was tired and drained, barely awake. He recalled the man throwing a spare coat over his form and shielding him from view. It gave him a little bit of warmth that Luin was grateful for. One of the dwarves called him Bard, maybe it was the man's name. He was conscious of the dwarves arguing and the rocking of the waters. But his eyes were closed and every movement ached something fierce.

At one point he was hoisted up and his arm was around Bard's shoulders. Luin mumbled sleepily as he was dragged along. The coat smelt of sweat and damp but it did a good job at hiding his blue clothes and unusual features from view. At one point they stopped and Luin was jostled harshly. His side throbbed with pain and he groaned.

"What happened to him Bard?" A gruff voice asked. Luin blinked, seeing a blurry sheen of metal.

Bard paused and looked at the solider nervously. "It's just too much alcohol", he lied easily. "My neighbour Greg had to much to drink so I'm being the kind person and bringing him home".

The soldier snorted.  "Drunken sod. Go on then". Bard nodded and continued quickly onwards, carrying Luin along with him. He carried the unconscious wizard up the steps and through the front door. Luin moaned loudly as he was set down on a cot.

"Is he okay?" Ori asked. Bard pulled the coat back and checked the wound. The bleeding had slowed but Luin was unresponsive. He eyes the man's unusual features and blue robes. The jewels swords glittered on his waist and the mysterious case was propped against the wall next to him. Bard frowned, suspicion lacing his gut.

"Da?" A female voice asked. Bard straightened and turned to look at his children.  All three seemed to be in their teens. The girl about sixteen, the boy about fifteen and the youngest was probably twelve. They were eyeing the dwarves nervously and with some surprise.

"Sigrid, Bain, Tilda. We have guests. They will be staying with us until nightfall", he introduced. Several of the dwarves nodded at them in greeting. Sigrid, the oldest girl with long braided dark hair, looked at Luin's sleeping form on Bard's bed.

"I'll get some bandages", she volunteered. She began bustling around the house, retrieving medical supplies sitting down on Luin's cot and tending to his wound. Luin's eyes opened and he blinked at her lazily before falling back asleep. The last thing he was aware of was all the dwarves gathering around nervously as his wound was redressed.

He dreamed. Legolas was talking to his father in the throne room of the elf palace. Luin couldn't hear what they were saying but Thranduil's face was stony with anger. Still, Legolas stood firm and resolute. He had changed out of his ornate clothes and was once again back in his green uniform, silver hair tied back. Luin watched as Thranduil reluctantly nodded and waved a hand. Legolas's expression did not change as he bowed and left the throne room. As soon as the doors closed behind him, Legolas was sighing. He rested a hand on his face for a second as he collected himself. He turned and his blue eyes met Luin's, not seeing him. He strode forwards and just as he reached where Luin was standing unseen, the dream ended.

Luin awoke to loud screams. He must have slept the whole day away because everything was shrouded with the dark of night. Bard's house was lit by candles, illuminating the scene before him. Orcs had crashed through the doors and windows. Kili was on the cot opposite him, back up agains the wall as a Fili threw pans at an orc breaking through the door. Sigrid and Tilda were under the table as Bain fended a orc off with a wooden pole. Luin couldn't see any of the other dwarves apart from Fili and Kili. He briefly wondered where they had gone.

Sigrid screamed again as another orc crashed through the ceiling and onto the table above them. Luin pushed himself up on to his elbows weakly and held out a hand. Some of his magic had returned but not all, he was not yet at full strength. He grunted as sweat bathed his forehead. One of his swords, which had been propped against the wall next to his case, shot out of its sheath. There was a flash of steel and the head of the orc on the table dropped to the floor. Tilda screamed and kicked it away with her feet.