12

The city of Mirkwood was a beautiful place. Separated from the foulness of the woods, it was a place of light and resplendence in true elvish fashion. Luin was as bad as the younger dwarves, gaping at the place as they were led through it. He made sure to keep his face hidden but he couldn't help but stare at the stunningly carved wooden houses and cobbled streets. Citizens stood watching from, doors and windows, pausing in the street as the company was marched passed. It felt like everyone's eyes were on them, gaping at the sight of a wizard and a bunch of dwarves. Their whispers followed them like a wave and Luin fought the urge to burrow further under his hood.

Despite the beauty here, it had a tension filled atmosphere. There was not as much life and happiness that filled the streets in riverdale. Here there was a soft edge. Only visible in the stiff forms of the people and the faces of worry. With the threat of darkness and monstrous spiders encroaching on their land and forest, it was obvious that this city was unused to travellers. It felt unsettled and fragile.

Luin glanced nervously at Legolas, who was walking at his side. The prince was faced ahead, face cold and stoic. He stood out compared to the Silvia elves that populated the city with his blonde hair and light eyes. The Silvia elves were all redheaded or light brunets with green and hazel eyes. Legolas stood out with his light colouring. Luin would surely stand out even further with his dark features.

"You're a Sindar elf", Luin murmured. Legolas must have heard it, as he turned to face the hooded wizard.

"I am", he replied coldly. Luin winced. It was obvious that he must had been isolated for looking different, treated because he did not look the same. Luin could empathise.

The elven guards and prince Legolas led the company through the winding streets of the city and through into the citadel. They were brought directly to the throne room where a large ornate throne was positioned on top of a level above the room. It dominated the space. A magnificent thing of woven branches. Positioned elegantly on a raised dais a over a circular floor. From it a person had a view of the audience and the whole city through a window. In it sat king Thranduil.

The king was a beautiful figure cut in silver and gold. His long white blonde hair matched his son's but his was tied into a pointed crown of spiked branches and red leaves. Luin studied him as much as he could from under the hood. Thranduil's features were finely cut and cold. He had a look of harshness that Luin had never seen on Elrond or Galadriel, and he beheld the party with a stoic curiosity. Luin could feel the weight of age on the king. A weight of long pain and anger. It made him slightly fearful. Years of pain and anger did not often make for a warm temperament.

Legolas and the guards let them go and wander freely within the throne room. They retreated to standing at the exits, ready to move at any moments notice. Luin could feel the prince's gaze on his back as he stepped up closer to the throne. Thorin walked forwards, regarding the king with poorly hidden contempt. Luin prayed that he didn't do anything stupid.

"So much for the benevolence of Thranduil, lord of elves", Dwalin said loudly, breaking the tense silence. "Is that how you treat travellers through your lands?" Luin winced and tried not to bury his head in his hands. So much for hoping they wouldn't do anything stupid.

Thranduil regarded the old dwarf as one would do a annoying insect. "Only the ones who bother me", he spoke in a regal, non rushed way. His voice was every bit as cold and harsh as he demeanour. "It has been a long time since Thorin Oakenshield has travelled my lands. For what purpose? Where does your journey end?" Luin stayed quiet, as the king's gaze swept through the dwarves. His piercing stare lingered on his blue robed figure in surprise before flirting back to Dwalin. Thranduil seemed languid, completely in control. He projected an air of being so overly superior that Luin had a slight urge to leave the room and not dirty his gaze.

"The business is our own", Thorin said coolly but with a firm stubbornness he was known for. He stepped up onto the lower steps of dais, followed by Dwalin. The rest of the dwarves stayed below with Luin. The guards moved as if to stop him from this rude action but Thranduil waved a elegant hand and they halted.

"Your unwillingness to speak explains why you are here", Thranduil smirked. It reminded Luin of a cat with its prey. Powerful and amused. "Speak up or you will be put in the cells".

"Is it a crime now to be lost in the forest?" Balin asked as he joined Thorin on the steps. "Hungry and thirsty". Thranduil showed no reaction to the emotive language. He didn't react at all to Balin's words.

"It is a crime to wander in my realm without leave", Thranduil stated clearly. His eyes darted to Luin for a brief second. "If you forget, you are using the road my people made".

"And we will not apologise for it", Thorin spat. Luin winced again at the rude action.

"We have a wizard", Ori said loudly in false bravado. "They are free to wander throughout the realms, as agreed. Surely you will not fault his right and duty for middle earth?"

Thranduil turned the full force of his attention onto Luin, regarding him with a semblance of curiosity. It was the first emotion he had shown the whole conversation. "A wizard. One of the blue wizards", he lent forwards on his throne as if to see Luin a bit better. "I have heard rumours of you. Which are you pray tell? Won't you not drop your hood and introduce yourself to us?" Luin opened his mouth and hesitated.

Thranduil waved a hand impatiently, face souring. "Put them all in cells. Leave Oakenshield here", he commanded. Instantly the guards were grabbing the dwarves and pulling them out of the room. Several of them let out angered cries at being treated so roughly and Luin fought the urge to fight. Legolas stepped forwards and placed a hand on Luin's shoulder.

"And the wizard?" He asked. Thranduil glanced at his son for a moment before regarding Luin again. He smiled cold and Luin fought the urge to run.

"Bring him back after I've talked to Oakenshield. Keep him close and away from his companions. Do not remove his hood before I speak to him. I wish to be the first to see his face. If he is who I think he is, then that would be a sight to behold", Thranduil chuckled at his words. Luin allowed the prince to guide him out of the throne room and down a separate corridor away from the dwarves. A few of them called out to him as they were separated. Luin raised a hand and they calmed, trusting him. Kili and Fili actually waved as they were moved out of sight.

"What will you do with my friends?" Luin asked in elvish as Legolas opened a door and led him through. It was a brightly lit lounge. Large comfy arm chairs in a rich brown were arranged around a flaming hearth. Book cases lined the walls apart from the large window and balcony to the left. It overlooked the top of the forest and the setting sun. From so high, it was easy to believe that the forest was as lush and green as the legends and not the home to darkness and spiders.

"They will not be harmed", Legolas promised. "Have a seat magic one. We shall wait here until my father sends for you". Luin obediently perched on the edge of a oak brown chair, near the fire. The heat of the flames helped sooth his nerves, relaxing his travel weary joints. Legolas watched for a minute before leaning against the wall near to fire place. He crossed his arms and looked at Luin with an assessing face. Luin fought the urge to react. If the prince wanted to wait until Luin spoke first, then two could play at that game.

He knew, logically, that he could easily fight his way out of the city. Start a fire or blow the place apart with his spiritual roots. But they were destructive and extremely draining. He didn't use them unless it was as a last resort. Besides, there was no guarantee that him escaping wouldn't get the dwarves killed. So he had to play along.

Silence passed between the two of them. Luin knew that the prince was most likely older than him. Elves and their immortality. But he also knew that the prince had probably never left his home. In terms of experience, Luin held the upper hand. He just had to remember that. Finally, after about fifteen minutes of no sound apart from the crackling of the flames, the prince spoke up.

"There is one question I want to ask wizard", he stated calmly. His voice seemed too loud in the quiet. "What spell did you preform to be in my dreams?"

AN: Can you feel the tension rising?
Also, the video made me die laughing. He definitely got it from his daddy.