21

Fire exploded in a line directly through lake town as the dragon soared overhead. It scotched the town in half. Everyone in the boat ducked as screams echoed through the air. Heat glazed and things exploded in the background. They were only saved because they were on the water, the heat passing over the canals with audible hisses. Tilda was sobbing into her sister's arms. Bard's house nothing more than burning timbers.

"Where's da? Bain?" She wailed as the boat continued to float through the wreckage. Luin looked down at her tear streaked face. The little girl was scared. Around them, heat blazed.

"Luin what are you doing?" Fili called as Luin stood up. The boat shook slightly as he moved. Legolas turned and grabbed Luin by the arm, eyes wide and face open. The honesty there caught him by surprise and he paused. Luin meet Legolas' gaze and the elf's expression quickly shuttered.

"They are dying", Luin answered desperately to the silent question. The orange heat of the flames shone against his black eyes and glinted off his skin. His hair was falling out of the braids Legolas had braided days ago. The strands flew wildly around his face as he looked at them. Blood still stained his torn tunic and his bandages were visible through the holes.

"There's a dragon out there!" Bofur yelled. Something exploded behind him and someone screamed. "This place is burning. You will die!"

"Luin", Legolas said softly. He met Luin's gaze, eyes emotive and grip on his arm tightening. "You're still drained and injured".

"This is fire!" Luin replied, gesturing to the devastation. There was a gleam of excitement and certainty within the whites of his eyes. "I am fire. I am air! This will not hurt me". He glanced around at everyone's worried expressions. "Get to the others. I will meet you at the mountain". Fili and Bofur nodded. Kili was still passed out on Tauriel's lap, head lolling. Fili looked at his brother before pulling at the oar. The boat continued drifting forwards.

"Luin", Legolas repeated his name. Luin looked at the elf for a moment before pulling his arm out of his grip. The other's fingers did not pull him back. He leapt agilely from the boat, landing back on the wooden street. Sharing one last glance with the occupants of the boat, Luin turned and sprinted back into the town.

He was knocked and jostled as fleeing people fought to get away from the fire. A particularly harsh shove almost sent Luin falling into the water. He managed to catch himself on the edge of a bridge and push himself back onto his feet. As he got closer to the fire, the more he could feel the heat. It stung his skin and made his eyes water. Luin blinked back the tears as he turned a corner. Fire roared up in his face and he reflexively jerked back. Taking a deep breath of hot air, Luin shaped his nerves. He had done this before of course, just not with dragon fire. It should work the same way and not affect him. It was basically the same, just with more magic infused with the flames. If it didn't then he would very soon be dead.

Luin concentrated on his Qi. He flexed his energy levels like a muscle, wincing at his depleted levels like an ache. It was low, scarily so for what Luin was going to be attempting. Gandalf would chastise him for even thinking about doing this on such low reserves. The last time he had tried this, it was with full power and a refreshed body and mind. Not injured, drained, and worn out both physically and mentally. Luin tried not to panic. He needed to do this. Concentrating hard, he explored his magic. It expanded around him like a shield. His fire root allowed him to mix his magic with heat and absorb the surrounding fire. It should hypothetically protect him as well as turn the fire around him into energy. Hypothetically that is. Luin took another deep breath and stepped right into the blaze. The flames swallowed him whole.

For a second he waited for the blinding agony but it did not come. The flames flickered around him like soft touches. Encircling his body like a second skin, his Qi was pulsing. Luin laughed at the feeling. It had worked. He could feel as the fire was absorbed into his magic, rejuvenating and fresh. His flowing Qi dousing the heat like water, mixing it around and purifying it. Luin absorbed the flames around him as he began to walk. The energy being dragged out of the wood and air, leaving nothing but charred remains sweeping behind him like a path.