26

Luin spent the night in one of the tents that Thranduil had ordered his men to put up. It was a basic canvas bell tent with the inside covered in furs and pillows, as well as a spare set of blue clothes. The same kind that Legolas had given him days before. Luin was pleasantly surprised at the offer. He had not expected a kindness from Thranduil. A kindness that had not been offered to Gandalf, much to the older wizard's displeasure.

When Luin had asked Thranduil why he was offering him the tent, the elven king had regarded him with an amused twinkle in his eyes. "You have my respect Blue wizard", he had said. "I aim to start a friendship between us. Take this as a offering". There was something that Thranduil was not saying. Something which he wanted. Luin had no idea how this involved being nice to him, but he was not going to look a horse in the mouth. Luin accepted but shared the tent with his mentor anyway. The two wizards slept with more comfort than they'd had experienced in the past few days. But still sleep was a tricky friend. The rising tension in the world, an oncoming darkness, prodded at their minds. Luin was up late dwelling on the energy around him.

When the sun rose it was to the clanging of metal and the pounding of footsteps. Luin woke to the moving of troops as Thranduil prepared to storm the mountain. Gandalf and Luin shared grim glances as the army began to move out. Thranduil will have his war if things did not improve. Thorin's stubborn nature was going to be his downfall.

Luin quickly changed his clothes and washed up in a bowl of water as best he could, Gandalf leaving to follow after the two kings. With everyone gone, he took the opportunity to check his wound. The long slash round his chest had healed up nicely. It looked weeks old rather than days. It was fully scabbed and pink skin had started regrowing and sealing it together, much to Luin's relief. He dipped a cloth in the bowl and carefully cleaned it before wrapping it in new bandages. He changed and dumped his unsalvageable clothing in a pile by the tent entrance, maybe someone will get some use from them. Felling more comfortable, Luin in sheathed his sword and flew up into the air in the direction of Erebor.

The elves stood in legions before the mountain entrance. Thranduil was stride a large elk, clothed in his silver armour. Bard rode at his side on a dark brown horse as the two of them approached gate. Thorin positioned on the battlements, watching them with an angry gaze. Luin looked down on them from high above as he drifted lazily on his sword amidst the clouds. They were low lying today, allowing him easy cover from those below. He did not want to appear as siding with either side. He held loyalty to the dwarves, his friends, but also didn't agree with what Thorin was doing. Gandalf shared the same sentiment. The older wizard was blending in amongst the soldiers to watch the proceedings as Luin hid above. Using his Qi, Luin was able to expand his hearing and listen to the conversation.

Luin watched as Thranduil rode up to the gates. An arrow shattered at the elk's foot and he paused. Thorin notched another arrow and aimed it. "I'll put the next one between your eyes", he warned. Around him, the rest of the company cheered. Thranduil smiled up at them patronisingly as behind him, every elf soldier drew their bows. The dwarves ducked but Thorin remained firm.

Thranduil raised a hand and his army lowered their bows. "We've come to tell you", he called loudly. "That payment of your debt has been offered and accepted".

"What payment?" Thorin boomed. "I gave you nothing. You have nothing".

Thranduil turned to Bard. In answer, Bard put a hand into his coat pocket and pulled out the Arkenstone. He held its loft so that it was visible. Even from his high up vantage point, Luin could see the way the stone glimmered and glowed. Thorin hesitated in surprise, lowering his bow.