05

The force of the explosion sent the goblins flying backwards. The king toppled over with an almighty crash which shook the wooden platform. All of the foul creatures screeching in pain. Blinded by the the blight light, Luin instinctively called his swords to him. The jade handles flew obediently into his out stretched hands.

As the light faded, Luin squinted around him. Across one of the wooden bridges emerged a familiar grey robed figure. He held a sword in one hand, a staff in the other. Luin sighed in relief. "Gandalf". The wizard had caught up with them.

Groans filled the cave as the goblins and Dwarves began picking themselves up. Luin took the extra seconds to crawl over to where his case had been dropped. The wood was dented and scratched by goblin claws. It upset Luin but this was not the time to be lamenting. Pushing himself to his feet, he strapped it back on his back.

"Pick up your arms", Gandalf's voice echoed around the cave. "Fight!" It was a command that the dwarves were only too happy to follow. They leapt to their feet, collecting their weapons from the floor and brandishing them at the goblins with vicious yells. A few goblins threw themselves at Luin who merely held two fingers to his lips. With a flash of steel, the sword from his right scabbard shot out and sliced the goblins in half. It levitated in the air like a beam of light. Edges razor sharp.

"Thorin!" Someone cried out in alarm as the huge goblin king lunged forward with his club. Thorin turned and met the downwards swing with his sword. The rebounding effect caused the goblin king to stumble backwards off the platform and over the edge to the darkness below, taking several goblins with him. Their screeches faded into the distance.

"Follow me!" Gandalf called. The party ran after him along one of the rope bridges and through the huge cavern.

They raced along the wooden platforms pursued by an army of vicious squealing goblins. Luin was at the back of the party. He had both swords out floating tin the air behind him, expertly cutting off any goblins that got too close. Kili and Nori were just in front of him, using their axe blades to block any arrows aimed in their direction.

It was when they reached a particularly rickety bridge that Luin stumbled. A goblin had managed to launch himself at him. One of Luin's swords impaled the goblin but as he fell of the edge, he grabbed a handful of Luin's robes, pulling the wizard with him. Luin slipped and was dragged down.

"Luin!" Noir screamed as he fell.

As he fell, Luin turned and kicked the dead goblin off his robes before holding his fingers to his lips and calling on his swords. They shot down after him, silver blades streaming through the air . Luin reached out and caught a jade handle, stopping his fall. The second sword came to rest under his feet and he balanced on the blade as it hovered in midair. Laughing off the adrenaline rush, Luin glanced back at the fight and shot upwards. Nori gawped as he watched Luin fly through the air on his sword. He held his second sword in his hand, deflecting arrows aimed at the party. One arrow was aimed at Nori. The dwarf snapped out of his awe and continued running.

The chase through the cavern continued. At one point the dwarves split up, running and fighting their way across different wooden walkways only to reunite at a bridge or crossing. Gandalf led the charge with his staff and sword. He switched between slashing and magic as he moved. Luin followed the party from the air, soaring above and below walkways to strike at ropes or archers. Together, they hacked and bashed their way through. Racing until they got to the last bridge to where they could see light through the rock. 

Just as they reached the last bridge, the goblin king leapt out from below and threw Gandalf back. "What are you going to do now wizard?" He laughed as the goblins swarmed around him, effectively blocking the exit. Luin cursed, circling around the scene slowly. He lowered himself until he was hovering in the air on the same level as the dwarves.