33- Epilogue

"Luin!" The shout echoed through the massive stone hall. Luin gasped as several dwarves came running out to meet him. He wounds were freshly bandaged and he had been provided a set of dark blue elf robes. They were not his usual robes but he felt more comfortable in them than he was in the tunic and trousers. He was standing in the entrance hall of Erebor, Legolas at his side. Both their hair were braided back from their faces. Legolas had half of his pulled up into a top knot with twin braids encircling the bun, the other half cascading down his back. It was a look not really in fashion on middle earth but it was true to say that the prince looked resplendent anyway. Luin had his hair intertwined in elvish courting braids. The beautiful design showing the world their relationship.

Kili and Nori were the first to reach him. Luin knelt and pulled both of them into a joyful hug. Kili with in the furs and leathers of a king draped over his shoulders and wrapped around his fram. A heavy solid crown rested on top of his brow. It didn't stop him from sprinting across the room and hugging Luin fiercely. Luin was so glad to see him. Although part of him still mourned Thorin and Fili. It was not hard to see his brother's face in Kili's. But Luin knew that both of them would be happy that Luin had managed to save Kili. They would be proud of the new king.

"It's so good to see you my friend", Kili sighed as they parted. He clapped Luin on the arm as Luin hugged Nori. One by one, Luin hugged all of his companions. He was relieved to know that Thorin and Fili were the only casualties. The rest of the company alive and well.

"It's a relief to see you too", Luin smiled.

"You had us worried lad", Balin commented. The old dwarf puffed at his pipe with a happy grin.

"Those elves barely let us see you", Nori complained. He shot Legolas, who had stepped back, a suspicious look. Legolas nodded back politely. The elf obviously still uncertain how to act around the dwarves.

"Did they patch you up well enough?" Dwalin asked gruffly.

"Yes yes, I'm fine", Luin reassured. He rose and linked his fingers with Legolas. Kili eyes their joined hands with a happy look.

"Fili would be glad you're happy Luin", he said. Luin felt tears prick at his eyes as he remembered his friend.

"Aye", Balin muttered. "They would be so proud". A somber silence fell over them. Luin spotted Bilbo and waved him over. The hobbit was quiet and removed, lingering on the edge of the group. He jogged forwards eagerly and Luin pulled him in for another hug.

"Thorin would be grateful", he said into Bilbo's hair. The hobbit sighed and smiled at Luin as they parted.

"We had their funerals a day ago", Kili spoke up. 

"It was a somber occasion", Balin sighed. "Followed by much feasting and celebrating of their lives. Thorin would be proud. He has reclaimed his homeland".

"Right after the crowning ceremony", Oin muttered. "That was a good party too". Luin regretted sleeping through all the ceremonies. A dwarf party was always something to watch. Also, he would have liked to say goodbye to his friends. For all his faults, Thorin had his heart in the right place. He did what he had set out to do and the effort was not in vain. But Luin would miss Fili the most. The blonde dwarf would always be remembered as a true friend.

"When's the wedding?" Gloin winked slyly at Luin as Kili blushed. The mood changed from melancholy to teasing. All of them happy to annoy the young king.

Kili scowled at them. "Some advisors you are. The wedding is whenever Tauriel wants". He turned to Luin. "Tauriel would come and greet you but she broke some ribs in the battle and is resting".

Luin laughed, glad that he was able to speed up his healing. His ribs barely twinged. "I wish you both the best. You'll always have a friend". He meant his words. If Erebor ever needed him, he would come.

Kili clasped his arm together with Luin's tightly, his face open and truthful. "As you will always find friends here in Erebor. We will always come to the aid of the blue wizard". Both of them smiled at the oath.

"So Luin?" Bilbo asked. "What is your plan next?"

"Will you be staying?" Nori voiced.

Luin sighed. "I'm sorry my friends", he apologised. His hand linked with Legolas' again. "I cannot stay. A whole world and many adventures to see. I have come to say goodbye". Voices rose up. All the dwarves talking over each other, each wishing him well. They knew that he couldn't stay. A wizard was always moving, not a citizen of any city. They did not settle for long. Gandalf would also be leaving soon. Luin had already parted with his mentor back in dale. They would meet back in Riverndale in a few years.

Feeling suddenly nostalgic and sad that the journey was over, he knelt again and gave everyone and other round of hugs. They all crowded round him. The dwarves familiar and caring. "I bid you well king under the mountain", he grinned at Kili. The dwarven king returned his smile. It was a heavy and nostalgic smile that spoke of all their time together. Luin could recall the young dwarf who had once been so curious about him, eager to face the world. The dwarf he was now, was older and battle hardened but with more understanding and the same curiosity. Kili had never lost his eager curiosity and love for the world. It would make him a fine king.

"As I wish to you Luin the blue". Luin bowed to him in a great sweeping gesture. Kili bowed back. Together, Luin and Legolas turned and began walking back towards Dale. They were quite far away, far enough that Luin could not longer make out the dwarves' faces, when a voice called out. It echoed off the mountains and bounced round the valley.

"And you! You pointy eared princling!" Kili called. There were agreeing shouts from the others. "If you harm one hair on his head I will declare war!"

"We'll have your ligaments for garters!" Dwalin yelled. Other threats were audible over the shouting.

"Your ears for wall hangings!"

"Your spine for a hat stand!"

"Your hair for thread!"

"Your liver for the crows!"

"If you harm our wizard, no one will ever find you!"

"We'll feed you to the beasts of the deep!"

"You'd better run princess!"

Once the voices had faded, Legolas turned and shot the gates of Erebor a quizzical look. He looked quite confused and concerned about all the threats he had just received. "Are all dwarves like that?" He asked. Luin burst out laughing. Legolas watched with a fond expression as Luin clutched at his sides.

"Yes", he breathed once the laughing fit had subsided. "That's what makes them so great".

Legolas chuckled, "I'll take your word for it". Luin squeezed his hand and pressed a peck on his cheek.

"So, grab a horse and head north?" He asked. "Or shall we fly?"

Legolas raised an eyebrow. "Flying? Is that on offer?" In answer, Luin held up his hand. One of his swords unsheathed itself and hovered in the air next to them.

"Let's fly back to dale and get our supplies", he offered. He hopped onto the blade easily and turned and held out his hand to Legolas. The elf jumped up eagerly behind him and wrapped his arms around Luin's waist. He rested his chin on Luin's shoulder.

"Shall we go?"

"Let's go". The blade rose steadily up into the air. It soared upwards through the clouds until both figures disappeared.

AN: This is it! The end! Blue swords is finished!
Thank you for getting this far. I originally planned for a bad ending but nope, I just had to make it happy. I was going to make myself cry if I wrote the bad ending.

If you enjoyed this then a LOTR sequel is out! It's called Green Cloaks.

Also, I'm planning to do a Q&A as I do with every finished book. If you have any questions about how the book was written or about Luin as a character, then comment them here. I shall respond and published the answers in a day or so.

Thank you once again for reading this and all your support. I hoped you enjoyed it.