22

Luin stared at the dragon. The reptilian golden eyes were sharp and as cold as flint. A long forked tongue flicked the air as Smaug grinned at them. Behind Luin, Bard stood on the remains of the bell tower. His bow had been broken but the man stood protectively over his son. Bain was still on the floor, body frozen in shock and fear. Luin hovered in front of them. The wind whipping at his torn and soot covered clothes and loose black hair. The braids had fallen out and the long strands blew around him like a curtain.

"Who are you to stand against me?" Smaug hissed. Around them, the fire flickered. "You are nothing but a human, fit to burn". His tongue flicked at the words as Smaug turned his gaze to Luin. "And you. You are weak wizard. This is not your world. I shall devour you".

Luin did not react to the words. Not moving his gaze from the creature, he whispered to Bard. "If I distract him, could you get a shot?" Bard looke at the broken bow in his hands then around him. Behind them, Bain made a small noise. Bard glanced at his son and nodded resolutely.

"There is nothing left for you but death", the dragon promised. He crept closer over the burning buildings, taking joy in the fear. "There will be no help. No one will come. You cannot save them from the fire. Everything will burn. I will wreck havoc over the lands of middle earth". The dragon promised.

"Bard get ready", Luin said. Bard nodded. Luin dove in an arch downwards. The wind and flames surrounding him as he flew towards the hulking form of Smaug.  He soared underneath the golden underbelly before the dragon could react. As he moved, Luin's eyes picked out the small black spot on his chest. The chink in the scaled armour. Shooting up around the tail, Luin flew around in a sharp ark in front of the dragons face. Smaug snapped at him, missing his hair by a breath.

"You puny little fly! Burn!" Smaug roared. Fire erupted out of his mouth, swallowing Luin in a ball of heat. The dragon looked satisfied as the flames dissipated, presuming Luin to have been burnt to a crisp. His reptilian eyes widened as Luin emerged from the smoke, completely unaffected.

Luin held out both his hands and all the dragon fire he had absorbed burst from his being. It wouldn't affect the dragon, Luin knew. But it would distracting him and make him angry. Smaug shrieked as the fire burned his eyes. The only sensitive part of him not protected from the heat. The dragon stumbled to the side, pushed back by the torrent of flames. Beneath him, houses crumbled as his balance shifted.

"You shall pay for that little wizard!" He screamed. A clawed wing swung at Luin. He was forced to flip up over the leather and into the air above the dragon. Soaring up in a wide loop over the attack.

"Luin!" Bard called. "Bring him closer!"

Luin listened and shot off in a dive for the bell tower. Behind him, Smaug snarled and followed. The dragon crawled over the ruins of lake town at an impressive speed. Growling and whispering death threats as he chased. Luin was barely ahead, swerving and diving to avoid the snapping mouth and claws. In front of them, Bard stood poised with the iron arrow ready. He had it aimed. Using the remains of his broken bow and Bain to steady and aim the arrow.

"Down!" Bard screamed as he let the arrow go. Luin dropped, the arrow sailing through the air above him. It hit home. Smaug shrieked as it pierced his chest. The massive body fell to the side. He crashed along the rooftops in a skid before rolling and pushing himself upwards towards the sky.

One of his wings had clipped the bell tower when he fell, and the whole thing toppled. The support beams snapped in two. Luin moved as quickly as he could. As the structure came crashing down, Luin swooped and caught Bard and Bain by the arms, a hand around each. He pulled them up into the air as the tower crashed into the water.