15

A knock on the door startled Luin. He raised his head from the pillow and got out of bed. He had not recently awoken, the dawn light having brought him from sleep. But instead of rising immediately, he had spent the next hour enjoying the feel of soft sheets and a comfy mattress. Time was spent debating on the current situation and dwelling on his interactions with the prince. The shared dreams nagged at him. He couldn't quite make out where Legolas stood on the subject. Would they both just ignore it and continue? It's not like the dreams happened every night, only frequent enough to be unusual.

The knock made Luin blink. Thinking it was a servant with new clothes or breakfast, he rose and strode over to the armchairs. "Come in", he called. The door opened with a click and there were a few soft footfalls as the door closed again. Luin had began sweeping his hair up in his hands to braid when a cough startled him. He looked up to see Legolas, dressed in his dark green uniform, standing in front of the door.

The prince's ears and cheeks were very lightly tinged red and he averted his gaze in a slightly flustered manner. Luin felt his own cheeks redden as he remembered his state of undress. He dropped his hair and pulled the nightshirt further down. It wasn't the most scandalous situation he'd been in. He travelled often and was used to having to dress and undress around others. There had been times where he had to be mostly naked in order to tend to a wound and he wasn't ever embarrassed or ashamed. Nakedness is natural. Just something about Legolas' reaction made Luin feel as if he should be embarrassed. This elf's gaze just seemed different.

"Oh my apologies", Luin said smoothly, not letting this new flush affect his words. "I thought you'd be a servant with new clothes. Mine are rather unsuitable and these are all that they left me". He gestured to the night shirt and the prince blinked.

"No, I should apologise. I did not announce myself at the door", Legolas replied hastily. Luin frowned slightly. Every time they talked, Legolas had addressed him with the tone and manners of court speak between nobles, formal and unemotional. He had seen Legolas speak informally to his guards and to the dwarves. Why did he continue this formality here? Was it because he was a wizard?

He waved a hand dismissively before returning to braiding his hair. "You can stop with the formal speak Legolas", he declared in a more relaxed tone of voice. He let some of his native accent slip through, curling the words as he changed from elvish to the tongue of men. "It's too early in the morning and are we not past that stage? We share dreams, do we not? Doesn't that automatically grant us a more intimate relationship?"

Legolas' lips quirked into a slight smirk. It was the first time Luin had seen him smile. It transformed his moonlike beauty from cold to soft and glowing. "I agree Luin", he replied in a visibly at ease manner. His posture calmed and he stepped forwards. Luin took a moment to enjoy the syllable's of his name through the Mirkwood accent. It was softer than the rough accent of the dwarves and he quite liked it.

Legolas gestured towards Luin's sleepy state of attire. "I shall ask the guards to bring you a change of clothes. In the meantime would you like assistance with your hair?" Obviously Legolas meant sending for a servant or a maid to help tie his hair back.

Luin raised an eyebrow, lips curling into a sly smile. He glanced at the prince and wondered how far he could push it. If Legolas was as interested in the red haired elf as he had seemed, then this would fail, but if Luin had read his glances correctly, then it could be interesting. "Why?" He grinned, deciding to go for it. "Is the prince of Mirkwood offering?" His voice was more teasing than flirtatious but it got the point across.

Legolas froze, surprised by the bold statement. He must have experience with flirting before, being the only Sindar elf and the only heir to the throne. It did not help that he was handsome as well. But Luin doubted elves had rarely been so bold. Elves wore their hair long as a sign of maturity and pride. To ask for someone specific to help braid their hair was a common courting gesture within elvish society. Maybe he had been too forward. With a mental sigh, he turned away to look out of the windows and at the sunlit forest. Had he had come on too strong? Perhaps the prince really was into the red haired elf.