06

The company fled across the ground. They had barely no time to assemble their things or collect their senses from the fight against the goblin army before they were forced to flee. Luin tightened the strap of his case and hauled Gloin by the arm as they picked up speed.

Behind them the snarls and bays of the wargs hot on their tail made their hair stand on end. The occasional arrow, shot by Kili or Fili, gave them few seconds of a head start. But the wargs were catching up and their riders were not far behind. Luin held up his hand as one of his swords flew out behind them. It sliced at any warg or orc rider who got too close. It would not last but it would buy them time. The rapidly falling darkness helped too. Bilbo managed to kill one of the orc with his little sword as Thorin and Gandalf led them on.

"Damn!" Luin swore as the company came to a stuttering halt. The forest had given way to the shape edge of a cliff. Below them was the extensive sunset view of a valley. Any other day, Luin would have loved this beautiful multicoloured view of the sunset below them. But they were stranded to the vicious blades of the orcs behind them.

"Up in the trees! All of you! Quickly!" Gandalf's voice broke through the sudden fear. The dwarfs rapidly began scrambling to climb the the nearest trees. Luin helped by lifting them up and pushing them into the branches as quickly as possible. His sword still floated in the air, protecting them from any orcs th at got to close.

"Luin!" Kili and Fili yelled in unison. Their warning prompted Luin to turn as a orc arrow embedded itself in the wood of a tree trunk where his neck had just been. Scrambling backwards, Luin avoided a swipe of a sword and the snarling maw of a Warg. Feet scrabbling for steady position, he tipped over the edge for the second time that night and plummeted over the cliff. His swords shot after him.

When he rose up in the air, steady on his sword and the other floating next to him, it was to find the company shouting as the wargs threw their weight against the trees. Luin flew up above them with his hands raised threateningly. With his dark blue robes billowing around him, blending into the colour of the night sky, and the black flint of his eyes; he looked like a spirit of the night, dangerous and avenging. His fingers flew in a complicated pattern and a series of glowing symbols flowed in the air. Luin made a thrusting motion and threw the talisman at the screaming orcs below him. Fire burst out in a wave towards them. The wargs backing off with shrieks.

Gandalf seemed to have caught on. He caught a stray spark and lit up a group of pine cones next to him. They were dropped into the eager hands of the dwarfs bellow and they began alighting more, throwing them down at the wargs. Luin laughed at the sight as he shot another flame talisman into the trees. Fire burst up and Wargs yelped.

One particular orc did not back away. He was a massive one, with grey white skin and a metal fork for a arm. He was eyeing them gleefully as the wargs began knocking the trees down. Everyone yelled out in fear as the trees went down like a set of dominos. It ended up with all the dwarves hanging on the last tree right over the edge of the cliff. It teetered before falling and lying over the drop like a gangplank.

Luin soared down as Dori lost his grip. He caught his spare sword by the handle and it hung in the air. Dori dangling off the end like bait on the edge of a hook. Luin dropped to his feet on the grass in front of the fallen tree. He stood in front of the tree as a guard, lit ghostly from the light of the fires. His hair hung around his face like a dark curtain, making his black eyes and high cheekbones seem unreal and haunting. His second jade sword flew behind him as another dwarf lost their grip with a scream. Luin wasn't sure who it was but he could feel the energy of his sword as the dwarf caught hold. Without his two main weapons, Luin raised his chin and stared headlong at the white orc.

"Where's you sword little elf?" The orc asked in English. The surrounding orcs laughed menacingly.

"I'm not a elf", Luin said firmly. "And I don't need my swords". He pulled his case off his back and unclipped it. Inside lay a beautiful silver and blue instrument. The wooden frame was decorated with swirling blue and silver designs and the strings gleamed in the moonlight. Luin fell into a cross legged seated position in the dirt as mist the cries of his companions.