23

It felt unreal to be staring up at the stone gates of Erebor. Luin felt a shiver of foreboding run up his spine. It was finally here. After months of travel Thorin had finally retaken his homeland. It all seemed too easy, despite the hardships they had fought through. The dragon was dead but Erebor was still unprotected and open to take over. Twelve dwarves could not withstand against a army. He had a feeling that things would go wrong.

"Thorin!" Kili called at the gates. "We're here! Let us in!" High above the gates, Ori's and Gloin's faces appeared over the wall. They cheered upon seeing their kin waiting below. Slowly the other dwarves appeared. Each face lighting up with success and relief upon seeing that they were safe. Luin was glad to notice Bilbo among them. The hobbit was alive and very much not eaten by a dragon. Luin had been worried about that.

"You're okay!" Oin yelled in glee. Relief was visible on all the dwarves faces. "They're okay. They're alive!"

"Give us a minute!" Balin shouted. "These gates are not lightly moved".

"Don't concern yourselves", Luin replied, cupping a hand over his mouth to be heard. "I'll bring them up in a moment". As he spoke, both of his swords shot out and fell to hover a few inches above the ground. Luin stopped on the left one and gestured to them. "Fili, Kili you two stand on that one. Bofur, you stand behind me", he instructed. Excited at the prospect of flying, Fili and Kili eagerly stepped onto the blade. It took a while to gain their balance but soon they were floating off the ground. Luin had a steadying hand on Kili's shoulder as Fili held onto his brother from behind. Bofur was a bit more wary. He grumbled under his breath as he stepped up behind Luin. He wobbled slightly and had to cling on to Luin's belt for balance. As soon as they were all steady, Luin made the swords rise slowly.

"Look at us! We're flying!" Fili yelled excitedly as they rose up above the gates. He and Kili were grinning like loons, visibly excited at the sensation. Bofur was a bit more hesitant, clutching on to Luin tightly. Luin kept the pace steady and smooth, not wanting to dislodge any of his passengers. The rest of the company watched from the battlements, awwing as the group flew towards them. They soared over the wall and descended on the other side.

When they were at a low enough distance, the dwarves eagerly hopped off and embraced their comrades. Luin sheathed his swords and watched, smiling as the dwarves celebrated. "It's good to have you back Lad", Balin commented. He patted Luin on the arm, smiling widely.

"Thank you for being the others", Thorin stepped towards him and nodded. Luin bowed gracefully. Thorin seemed royal here. He was finally a king. The king under the mountain. Luin would give him the respect he deserves. But there was something off about him. A light in his eyes that wasn't there before. Luin felt a spark of worry nag at him.

"Since the quest is over", Luin smiled gently at them. "And I am no longer needed. I wish to barter with you". Voices rose up at Luin's words as the dwarves quickly disagreed.

"No longer needed? Luin we all owe you our lives", Fili stated angrily. "You're part of the company".

"You can't go now", Bilbo protested. "What about Gandalf? He hasn't returned yet".

"Don't be hasty lad. You're welcome here", Balin said. All the other dwarves echoed the statement, voices echoing over each other in a cacophony of noise. Luin felt touched that they valued him so. He would miss their fun company.

Thorin didn't say anything, his face stony. Luin couldn't read his expression. He wondered what the dwarf was thinking. "If you wish to leave I will not stop you", Thorin said lowly. His voice caused everyone else to quieten. "You will always be welcome in the halls of Durin. What do you wish to barter?"

"I wish to gain a share of the treasure", Luin replied. Instantly, something in Thorin's face hardened. "Of course I would offer you something in return".

"No", he stated firmly. "We owe you a lot blue wizard but you did not sign the contract and therefore have no claim over the treasure". It was as Luin feared. Already, dragon sickness was invading his mind. The dwarf was not even willing to give up some of the treasure for anything in retur. He bowed to Thorin again.

"Very well", Luin said cordially, knowing that it would be unwise to push him. "I shall take my leave and return to discuss this further at a later date".

"Luin, where are you going?" Ori asked. The dwarves were watching anxiously. But they were loyal to Thorin and would not protest against him. Luin smiled sadly at them. It seems his time with them was coming to a close. He would not make them choose between him and their king. It was sad but Luin was not one to stay where he was unwelcome. Thorin was quickly becoming a ticking time bomb. It would be unwise to stay and provoke him further.

"I shall go and help the survivors of Laketown. Their home is destroyed. I shall help them settle". He turned back to Thorin, a warning on his lips. "I understand why you have refused me, you did not promise me any of the treasure. But I advise you to make good on your other promises. You need friends Oakensheild. Do not push away those who can be loyal".

Thorin nodded but Luin knew that the dwarf's stubbornness will be his downfall. He didn't know wether the dwarf had heard his warning or not. "Begone wizard. Let us part as friends and not as enemies", he growled, obviously reaching the end of his temper. Luin inclined his head at him as his sword flipped around in front of him. He mounted the blade as the dwarves protested again.

"Be safe lad", Dwalin nodded.

"Take care of yourself", Balin voiced. "You're still injured". Luin nodded at him, giving the old dwarf a smile.

"Come back and visit us Luin", Fili called. The blonde dwarf waved. Luin laughed and waved back.

"I shall see you again my friends", he called as he rose into the air. The company watched as he lifted higer began drifting towards the ruins of Dale. The wind pulling his ripped clothing around him as he left Erebor behind.

"When you come back we'll show you a proper dwarf party!" Kili's voice echoed behind him as he gained distance. Laughter echoed off the stone as Luin flew beyond hearing distance.