16

The clothes that Legolas had left were not robes but more like traditional elf combat gear. They were the same colour that Luin normally wears, so he gave them effort for that. If they had been any other colour then he would have had to complain. There was no point in saying you were a blue wizard if you were not wearing blue. That would just be stupid.

There were a pair of trousers that were unusually tight. The material fit close to the leg to allow agility though the trees. Luin glanced at then on his legs and frowned. They only seemed to emphasise how slim he was. The shirt and tunic didn't help either. Both reached to mid thigh and had been tailored to fit someone with broader shoulders. Luin had been forced to tie leather cords around his wrists to cuff the sleeves and allow him hand movement without them giving him paws. Luckily both the belts and the boots fit. The double belts hung in a cross around his hips and he was able to sling both his swords into each of the hoops so that they rested comfortably. The boots came up to mid calf and were black leather. Luin laced them up over his trousers and smiled when they fit pretty snugly.

Overall the outfit was not bad, he just missed his long concealing robes. This was just not something he was used to. He'll get over it. However, these clothes would allows for more movement than his robes did, they would be colder too. But the best part was the coat. Legolas'd had the grace to leave a long black coat that reached to Luin's ankles. The sleeves were billowing but they only reached to the elbow, allowing for free hands and wrists. It had a large hood that was easily draped over to cover the entire face. Luin appreciated that little thought.

After getting dressed and throwing his old robes onto the hearth, Luin mulled away the time buy cleaning up his guqin and retuning the strings. It was hours later when a knock came at the door. Luin looked up, it was almost midday and the sun was high in the sky.

Gathering his Guqin back into its case, he clicked it shut and called for them to come in. Legolas opened the door and stood in the doorway. He was dressed more nicely than he had been that morning. His dark green clothes had gold embroidery and he was missing the rough cloth of combat. His hair had also been braided back in a slightly different style to his usual 'out of my face' look and it now cascaded over his shoulders with a few small braids tying the top half back. Luin thought that he looked very princely.

"It is the time of the feast", he stated, voice once again formal and distant. It seemed like any bond they had formed this morning was now lost. Luin tried not to show the dis point meant on his face. "The king requires your presence".

Luin sighed and slung his case over his shoulder. "Lead the way", he gestured to the door. Legolas waited until Luin had left the room before turning and walking down a corridor. Luin followed silently, hands fisting into the pockets of his robes.

"What is this feast for?" He asked. "And why is it important that I play?"

"This is a feast of starlight", Legolas answered. "It begins at midday and lasts through the sunset and the revealing of the stars only to end at sunrise". Luin raised and eyebrow. Apparently these elves knew how to party. He would have to wait until nearly dawn to work on his plan. That will be when they would be at their weakest.

"So why does he want me to sing?" Luin asked agin. "Why don't he just let me go?"

Legolas moves his head but did not turn to look at him. Luin felt slightly annoyed by the obvious avoidance. "There are rumours that you are a child of the night. With clothes of blue and head of black. That you can create sparks. My father is curious".

"Those rumours are nothing but words", Luin grumbled with a pout. Legolas did not respond.

After a few more minutes, they reached a set of huge double doors. Guards were posted outside and upon seeing them approach, pushed them open. Inside spilled chatter and light. It was obviously full of people. Luin sighed as Legolas walked in, steeling himself before following. Instantly the voices hushed.

It was a magnificent ball room with a high ceiling from which hung a blinding chandelier. Silvian elves littered the floor, their brown and red hair making Luin and Legolas stand out like night and day as they made their way through the crowd. They were dressed in colourful finery and some were holding plates and glasses. In one corner, near the throne, was a group of musicians. They too had gone silent as the prince and Luin entered. Everyone turning to watch them.

Thranduil rose from his throne. The chair was on a raised platform. Not as high at the one in the room where Luin first met him, but high enough that he could see easily over the crowd. The king was clothed in his gold and silver robes with his oak leaves crown. He stood up and placed a hand on Legolas' shoulder as the prince bowed to him before turning and standing at his side. Luin also bowed, feeling so, so different under the many stares. Thranduil raised a hand and Luin straightened.

"Ah our esteemed guest, the blue wizard", Thranduil stepped forwards and ran a hand over the air above Luin's face. Not touching him but still close enough that Luin could feel the heat of his skin. He fought the urge to recoil, nerves churning in his stomach.

"Marvellous", the king muttered as he scanned Luin from head to toe. "You are really such a unusually beautiful creature. Not human, not an elf. But something different. A dark elf is what they call you. Something unusual and powerful". His fingers danced along Luin's braids and he stiffened. Thranduil eyed them with a unreadable look in his gaze. Luin wanted to duck away but stood resolutely firm.

After a minute, Thranduil stepped away and sat back in his throne. He crossed one leg over the over with a glimmer of gold and looked down at Luin. "Enjoy my feast Luin the blue. When the sun drops then you shall preform for us".

The king waved a hand and the musicians started up a lively tune. Around them, the crowd burst into chatter. Luin bowed again before turning and striding off into the hall. The elves parted like the tide as he moved, pointing and whispering. Luin kept his head held high as he made his way over towards a long line of table which were piled with food. He had not been given dinner last night or breakfast this morning and he was starving. Actually, if he thought about it, he couldn't remember when he last ate. It wasn't days ago at Beorn's was it? He wondered if the dwarves had been given anything and hoped that they had.