Chapter 22

You stood in front of the mirror, the brush slowly running through your hair. You felt nothing as you stared at yourself. A patch was on your cheek. You'd gotten 40 stitches over your body. The explosion had done a umber on you. Ash and Kent were never found, dead or alive. Neither were Jake and his two friends. The building was burned to ashes and rubble. People said nobody could've survived the collapse.

"(Y/n)?" You turned. Scarlett was there. "Are you ready? You don't wanna be late for work do you?" You walked after her. You climbed into her car and she drove you to work. You got out and she did too. She pulled you in for a hug. You couldn't bring yourself to hug back. "I'll see you tonight okay?" She said. You said nothing. She frowned, but didn't bother trying to get you to speak. She kissed your forehead. "Bye little sis." She got back into her car and left. 

You walked in and everything went silent. You sighed. You knew people were staring at you as you walked to your desk. You didn't even care that they were there. You sat down and powered up your computer. You got up and got some coffee. You didn't bother with the creamer. You went back over to your desk and sat down. You looked through the files, skimming over the information. 

You felt a hand on your shoulder. You turned. Hank was there.

"Hey (Y/n). You...you doin' okay?" He asked. It had only been 3 days. You were clean, but the patch on your cheek was going to become a scar. Another permanent reminder of what happened. You turned back to your computer.

"Fine." You muttered. He frowned.

"Kid, listen. I'm really sorry. I..I wish there was something we could've done." He said.

"Okay." You replied. He sighed. 

"If you need me, I'll just be over at my desk okay?" You didn't reply. He walked away and you kept skimming through the files. You glanced over at the picture on your desk. Your eyes landed on your two brothers. Ash looked young and happy. He was smiling while holding you against his chest. You were laughing as he held you there. Kent was next to Carl. They had one arm each wrapped around each other. They were both smiling happily. You studied there smiles, their eyes, their features, everything. You felt so...helpless. You hadn't even realized you were staring at it. 

You felt another hand on your shoulder. You turned as it brought you back into reality. Connor was there this time.

"Are you alright?" You hadn't seen him since the fire. His LED was yellow and he looked concerned.

"I'm fine Connor." You said. 

"I can tell when people are lying. It's one of my features." He said. You stood up.

"I'm fine." You said, trying to stay calm. "I'll be back in a minute. I need to go check on my cheek. I was told to check on it every few hours to make sure it's clean and uninfected." You said. While that was true, you just wanted to get away from all the eyes on you and the people and just everything. You hurried to the locker room, refusing to look back at anyone. 

You stood in front of the mirror. You carefully took off the patch on your cheek and took a wet piece of a paper towel to clean it off again. The stitches there were very noticeable. After cleaning it, you lifted up your shirt. You caught a glimpse of the bandages wrapped around your body. 

You took off your shirt. You stared at the bandages wrapped all the way around and up and down your abdomen. You stared at them for a long time. You began to take them off. Long scars were there. The stitches were even more noticeable. They were large and ugly. You frowned, tears forming in your eyes. 

You remembered a time with your brothers when you were younger. It had been a bad day for you. The boys at school had been picking on you. They called you ugly and stupid and a freak. Your brothers had come to the rescue.