Chapter 72

You all walked along together, Nova and Smoke leading the way. You soon came to an old closed down skating rink. You all walked in and Nova and smoke split up to search for the men. You stayed near Connor, but so did she. You heard a creak from a beam up above. You stopped to look at it. Dagger did too. Suddenly it fell. You gasped.

"LOOK OUT!" Connor pushed both of you out of the way. He held you close to him.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine-" Dagger cut off as she realized he was talking to you. Connor didn't even hear her. You nodded and Connor kissed your forehead.

"Don't scare me like that, love." He said, holding you close.

"S-sorry Connor." You said. You replied hugging back. You opened your eyes and you caught a glimpse of Dagger's completely pissed off expression. You smirked a little. Nice try. You thought.

"Kid, you okay?" Hank asked. You nodded. "Dagger?" He asked.

"Peachy." She replied as convincingly as she could. You saw right through it, but Connor and Hank seemed oblivious. 

"Good. Now, let's keep looking. You gotta be more careful (Y/n). We can't lose you." Hank said. You nodded with a soft smile. "You better step up your guard too, Dagger." Hank replied. As the boys turned to walk off, you saw she looked completely livid. You grinned.

"What's the matter Dagger? Can't handle yourself?" You asked quietly enough so the boys wouldn't hear. She said nothing, only glaring back at you. 

Soon, Smoke started barking. You all hurried over to them, Dagger shouldering past you. You glared after her, but tossed it aside. Now is not the time. You've gotta focus. You told yourself. You all followed him to the back of the place. You all looked around together, but suddenly Nova was attacked by a real dog. They both wrestled in a deadly flurry of teeth and claws. You saw that the dog was a Doberman Pinscher. Smoke leaped at the dog, joining the fight. Suddenly, five men came out and the fight broke out. Connor and Hank each handled one on one. You fought a guy with a few scars on his face. He was bald and looked middle aged, but he was clearly buff. You fought him and you were winning for a long while. Suddenly, he grabbed your arm and slammed you into the wall. You tumbled and groaned in pain. He laughed darkly. You wobbled on your hands and knees, head spinning. Smoke leaped in to protect you. Nova kept fighting the dog. You saw that Dagger was taking on two men at once. She was kicking their asses! You felt a bit of respect for her until...you noticed that they were hardly fighting her. In fact, they were barely even defending themselves! They were either very bad fighters, very stupid, or...staging it. One of them tripped her and she fell onto her back. They all ran. Dagger cried out in pain as her back smashed into the floor.

"Dagger!" Hank exclaimed. He rushed to her aid. You were shocked. She's a LAIR! She's not hurt! She's perfectly fine! You pushed it aside.

"Connor, Smoke, Nova! After them! Come on!" You yelled. You all took off after them as fast as you could. They all ran up to the roof. The fight broke out again and you took on two men at once. You were doing really good. You kicked one in the jaw and punched the other in the gut. You kept going as Connor handled another two men. Nova was tackling the dog again and Smoke was fighting the last man. 

Soon enough, Hank and Dagger were there. The men saw them and decided to run. Nova chased after them. She pelted past Dagger, but you saw Dagger sneakily put her foot out and trip the wolf. She yelped and tumbled. The men and dog jumped to the next roof as Nova tumbled off the first.

"NOVA!!!!!!" You screamed, racing to help her. Her claws just barely latched onto the ledge. Her hid paws scrambled for a grip. You quickly grabbed both her paws and hauled her up. She was shaking, terrified. You hugged her, calming her down.

"Oh great! They got away because for your stupid mutt! Can't she stand on her own four paws!?" Dagger said. Smoke barked angrily at her.

"This was not Nova's fault and you know it!" You shouted.

"Right! Who's the one that tripped on her own paws and nearly fell to her death!?" Dagger yelled.

"That's enough!" Hank yelled. "(Y/n), from no on Nova stays home." He said.

"What!? That's not fair! Shes one of the best trackers we have!" You said.

"She's right Hank. It would be a foolish move." Connor said. "One mistake shouldn't be the deciding factor. We all make mistakes. Give her a chance." Connor said.

"Hank, that mutt is trouble and you know it!" Dagger said. Hank sighed.

"It was an accident. I acted on impulse a little too fast. She stays." Hank said. Dagger nodded.

"Okay. You know what Connor, you're right. Everybody deserves a second chance. You're a really nice guy." Dagger said hugging him. The sight of it made your blood boil. Nova growled quietly. You nodded.

"Agreed girl. Something is for sure wrong. Don't worry. I'll find out what it is."