chapter 2

"Callie and Sara. Yeah, that was short-lived." She dropped the chain, letting the ring fall to the bottom of the drawer as she slammed it shut. Looking in the mirror, Millie wasn't sure if she even recognised who was looking back at her, but she knew that her suit looked good. The black and red matched her team, the red armband reminded her of the world she now served, and the red bird of prey on the front reminded her of where she stood: above the rest.

//.//

"Millie!"

That was the first thing she had been forced to adapt to on this earth: her new name. Long gone was Callie, and instead her nickname on this earth seemed to rather take inspiration from the second half of her name instead of the first. Maybe it was good that she wasn't having to use her proper name for the things she had done, but now that it seemed there was no escape to this world she wondered if she would ever be called Callie again.

Turning around, she found herself facing her brother as he entered their shared apartment. His hair was ruffled from the mask that he usually wore but there was an urgency in his eyes as he stormed into the room. She knew instantly what was going to come from his mouth but there was nothing about it that she found herself looking forward to.

"It's time," he told her. She nodded, reaching out to the countertop beside her and grabbing the hood and mask that went with her newly gifted outfit. Pulling it on, she allowed her hair to tuck into the mask to keep it fully hidden. With her compound bow on her back, Millie followed Tommy out of the apartment.

As she stood at the portal that they were going to be using for transportation in the upcoming hours, she couldn't help but find herself nervous about what was going to happen. Of course, Millie knew who they were about to try and find but she didn't realise just whoelse she was about to encounter.

__

"Somebody who drinks like that is looking to make something go away," Sara called out to Alex as she walked over to the open bar. She understood the feeling all too well, her heart aching painfully for Callie at the sight of all the happy couples around her. She knew that the wedding would open fresh wounds, but she didn't realise it would make her feel this empty.

"Yeah, well," Alex vaguely replied before turning to look at Sara, noticing the way she had just chugged a glass of scotch. "And what are you looking to make go away?"

Sara considered explaining everything to her, but the idea of someone not treating her like she was going to break any second seemed pleasant. Everyone else here knew about her past with Callie and Callie's death and for someone to not have any links to the girl? Yeah, well that seemed ideal.

"Nothing," Sara lied, seeing Barry unapprovingly glance at her from the corner of her eyes. She knew he was sad that she wouldn't just open up to someone for once, but she wasn't sure if he was disapproving that or the fact she was hitting on someone just to feel something for once. "I just like the taste of scotch."

"Fair enough," Alex replied, pausing for a moment before deciding to open up herself. "I just called off my engagement."

Sara squinted slightly as she made a noise of understanding. Not that Alex had noticed, but the room around them had became slightly quieter as a few of the others had picked up on the words that had just been spoken. Oliver watched her carefully, making sure that the mention of engagement didn't spark a breakdown especially as Callie had died literally hours after they had gotten engaged.

"So being here really brings up a lot. What, did you catch him cheating?" Sara continued the conversation normally, well aware of the eyes that were on her. Noticing everyone moved back on with their conversations after seeing she was okay, she relaxed ever so slightly.