chapter 17

Callie eyes narrowed as she considered that this Sharpe lady was maybe trying to flirt with her finace. "Sara's fiancé, also a part-time assassin and Damien Darhk killer, but you can call me Callie. You are?"

The woman opened and closed her mouth for a second, trying to process the information that had just left the girl's lips. She had known that the Legends had recently lost a team member, but she hadn't been told that one had suddenly came back from the dead.

"Ava, Ava Sharpe," the woman breathed, holding out her hand to be shook. Callie stared pointedly at her hand until the woman dropped it, a glare on her eyes as she studied the woman. Watching as Nate entered the room and interupted, causing Ava to begin to speak to the man, Callie continued to glare daggers at the woman.

Crossing the room, Sara lightly smacked her head as she reprimanded Callie for her stand-offish behaviour.

"Play nice."

//.//

"I know what you're trying to do, by the way," Jax muttered to Zari as the two played one of the video games that they had on board the ship. Callie sat in the back corner of the room, having been put on time-out with the other two members of the team as Sara and the others had decided that it wasn't best to rush her back into the field so quickly. She had agreed, knowing that there was still a lot of conditioning that she needed to get rid of.

"What's that?" Zari asked, trying to play it cool and not show that she was trying to take the boys mind off things.

"Tying to distract me."

Zari paused for a second, slamming her controller slightly as Jax managed to get another punch on her character in the game. Callie looked up from the book she had been reading ('How to find your zen in a busy living situation' co-incidentally) and peered across the room at where they were sitting on the ground. She knew that they had both tuned out that she was sitting there but as a former assassin it was in her nature to pick up on other conversations.

"I'm also trying to beat you. Is the distraction working?"

"I still wanna warn Grey."

"So do it. I would've warned my brother, if I had the chance."

"Yeah, but Sara..." Jax hesitated, knowing that Zari still didn't understand the way protecting history worked compared to how the rest of them understood it. He knew that he was going to fall into a rabbit hole any second, but he really didn't want to have to lose and damage his year-long friendships with the rest of the team because of it.

"Just 'cause she's the Captain doesn't mean you have to do everything she says," Zari snorted, before her eyes widened and she spun around in her place to look at the black-haired girl in the corner of the room. Callie raised an eyebrow, wanting to know where the girl was going with this. "No offence Callie."

"None taken. She's my fiancé, not my mother - nor is she yours," Callie told them both, looking back to her book with disinterest for the conversation they were currently having. She wanted Jax to save Stein - and while she knew the consequences could be disastrous, she was selfish.

"Yeah, no, I know, but we..."

Jax was cut off by the man himself entering the room and looking at the three Legends situated inside of it. Martin smiled at Callie, taking a step slightly farther away from her in fear. She wasn't sure why the young Stein feared her but she presumed someone had told him her assassin status from their previous encounters.

"Ah, Jefferson, there you are. Forgive the interruption, but I would very much like to return to my Clarissa and Lily, with or without that wretched Beebo."