chapter 30

"That's it, Elvis. Put a little sauce on it. Yeah, swivel!"

Callie shot Nate a look of amusement as she sunk back slightly in the church pew. It had been Sara's wise idea for them all to blend in with the church service that Gideon had informed them about but she just couldn't relax. There was something uneasy in her stomach about all of this, and she had gut feeling that this was more than just an anachronism. 

Looking back to where Elvis was performing one of the songs that Nate had just referred to as "Grandma songs", she could't help but find her eyes drawn to the guitar in his hands. Watching carefully as his fingers moved along the guitar, Callie mused at the sight. Something about this service in this church really wasn't sitting well with her but she couldn't' quite figure it out.

Noticing Zari stand up on her right, Callie rolled her eyes and muttered under her breath to the newest member of their team for her to sit down. When sudden gasps from other church goers got her attention, she realised that Zari was not standing up but rather had began to float in mid-air.

"Satan's got ahold of her!"

Callie looked over at the woman who had announced the incident to the entire church, causing rounds of yells to break out throughout the building. Sara and the rest of the team were on their feet now too, staring at Zari in a mix of disbelief and concern as their teammate seemed to hover while her totem shined brightly.

"What the hell's going on?" Sara yelled at Zari, worried that the woman had done something to cause this. The girl simply shared a confused look with them all as she threw her hands upwards into the air.

"Ugh, my totem. It's reacting to something."

"Well, make it not react!" Callie replied to Zari, noticing that some of the church goers were getting anger rather than more scared. She was pretty sure that if this all didn't stop in the next few seconds that they would start making torches and welding pitchforks.

"Be gone, Satan!" One of the women screamed at Zari, her eyes narrowed as she looked at Callie who had held her hand up towards the woman to try and make her stop talking. The woman almost hissed at Callie's actions, causing the raven haired girl to almost move past Zari and square up to the middle aged woman.

"Well, I think she's talking to us," Sara muttered as Zari managed to regain control of her totem. The girl slowly lowered to the ground as Sara motioned for them all to leave the church before this situation got any worse. Shoving Callie slightly as she noticed her wife having an intense glare-off with one of the worshipers, she guided them all out of the room. "Come on."

"Behold what you have seen with your very eyes! Witnessed in this house of God! That is the act of Satan!"

Callie scoffed as they walked away from the church, the minister still yelling about Satan's presence in the building. Rolling her eyes she knew that this day was only going to get even weirder as it progressed. 

The team stopped walking once they had gotten a little bit away from the church, Sara trying not to be too stressed by the situation that had just occurred before they had even properly started their mission. She noticed that Callie seemed very off about it all and couldn't help but share the same sense of dread that the blonde had been feeling ever since they watched Elvis pick up that guitar.

"I guess Elvis is the King of rock and roll. One hip shake, and Z loses it," Sara tried to joke, still unsure of what had just happened in there. She had a slight teasing to her tone but even Wally could tell that she was just as confused as the rest of them were.

Nate nodded confidently beside Callie, a small grin spread across his face as he thought about his idol performing in front of him. "Yeah, tell me about it, sister."