Targeted

You, Levi, Squad Levi, Hanji, and her squad had all arrived back at the small house. Hanji had some news she needed to tell you. It was apparently important, because she gathered you all immediately. So here you are, standing in a circle around her in the main room with Moblit by her side.

"Pastor Nick is dead," she said bluntly. There was a silence all around the room. You glanced around the room. Some had expressed shock while others remained neutral.

"Huh? What was that?" Levi asked, being the first one to break the silence.

"He's dead... Pastor Nick. He was murdered," her face was dark and serious. To her, this was a big deal. "This morning, in the Trost District Barracks." You let a sigh slip through your nose, your expression blank. Of course it would be suspicious that he was murdered. No regular civilian could enter there. Even if they broke in, someone would have to notice.

"I figured the Church would want to deal with Nick since he was cooperating with the Scouts. That's why I hid his identity and had him stay in the barracks, but... to think they would use soldiers to kill him..." Hanji said, "I was too careless. It's entirely my fault."

"Calm down, Shithead," you spoke up from the seat next to Levi. In the time when Hanji was talking about smaller, irrelevant details, all of you had taken a seat around the table. "You couldn't of known that. Even if there was a possibility, it had a lower chance of happening than not happening. The question is, why did they torture him?" You gazed at her from the corner of your eyes.

"For information? For the hell of it? The former is more plausible," you added, leaning back and sipping your tea.

"You're right... did they torture Pastor Nick just to find out what information he spilled to us?" Armin inquired from across the table.

"Most likely," Levi replied, "But it was the Interior Military Police, which means there's something more behind it."

"So, how many nails did Nick have ripped off?" He directed his question to Hanji who looked deep in thought.

"Huh?"

"You saw, right? How many?" He asked.

"I only caught a glimpse of him, but all the nails that I could see," she replied. Levi looked at you.

"It's not hard forcing out information from a person after one, but if they're adamant on not talking, peeling won't make a difference. Regardless of how many," you explained, being able to talk from experience. Although, nail ripping is not something you usually do. You usually break their bones. You'll have to incorporate that for next time.

"Pastor Nick... I thought he was an idiot, but... he didn't turn away from what he believed, all the way till the end," Levi said, "In other words, they have no idea we've caught wind of the Reiss family."

"Someone in the government is up to no good. Their eyes are fixated on us," you added on. The door to the front opened before footsteps.

"Captain Levi, Miss Y/n," Nifa said, walking into the main room. "A message from Commander Erwin." She handed Levi a letter. You didn't bother to lean over his shoulder, but you were able to read it from where you were.

"I went to tell him about Pastor Nick, but he sent me off with this," Nifa explained. You straightened up when your eyes finished reading. Levi's eyes narrowed slightly as well.

"Everyone, out. We leave now," he ordered, standing up. You stood up behind him and walked around the table. "Leave no trace we were here."

~
You watched up from the ledge as Military Police raided where you previously were. It was sunset. You had managed to leave just half an hour before they came. Everything packed, nothing was left, and no evidence that you were ever there. You let out a slight sigh and fiddled with your gun strapped to your thigh.

"New orders came from the government", Levi's voice drew you from your useless thoughts. "There's been a freeze on all Scout Regiment activity outside the wall. They're telling us to hand over Eren and Historia." Your eyes immediately went to the forest behind you.

"By the way, right after he gave me the message... the Military Police came for him..." Nifa's voice was at the edge of your hearing. Your eyes darted from tree to tree, trying to find the cause of the tingles that went down your spine. From the corner of your eye, where a beam of orange sunlight hit the trees, there was a glint. Your hand went to the handle of your gun. You ran in front of Hanji right before it was shot off. Instead of a bullet, like you expected, it was an arrow.

'An archer?' You thought, deflecting the arrow with your own bullet. The arrow ricocheted off of the bullet with a clank.

'Metal?' You thought, aiming your gun into the forest.

"Who's there?!" Armin exclaimed, as he and the rest of them aimed their shotguns where you were facing. You listened closely and rubbed your feet into the ground. There was nothing but stillness. "Y/n?" Armin warily glanced towards you.

'If I shoot another shot, the MP will hear.' You thought, relaxing your stance and sheathing your gun. You'll stick with your sword for now.

"Nothing. They're gone," you assured, walking over to the bent arrow that was lying on the ground. You picked it up and your arm dropped from the weight.

'This weighs a lot more than I expected. It would need a high quality bow to launch it.' You thought, twirling it between your fingers. You felt the slightly rough surface underneath your fingertips.

"Well, Y/n? What is it?" Levi asked.

"An iron arrow. Wrought. It was forged," you replied, throwing it point-down into the dirt where it stuck up. "Don't worry about it. Let's just focus on keeping Eren and Historia safe. Whatever happens, happens. Let's go."

~
You and Squad Levi were back in Trost District the next day. Hanji and the others parted from you a while ago.

"Try not to walk in a cluster. We'll stand out. Eren and Historia, just walk normal," Levi ordered from the front of the group. You walked next to him, your hood up. You looked around inconspicuously, noticing the banners, decorations, and the Royal Flags hanging throughout the street.

'How stupid...' You thought, rolling your eyes slightly.

"We'll begin handing out rations!" A soldier exclaimed to the building crowd. He, as well as another soldier, was standing on a small stage in front of the Royal Family's flag. For some reason, you all stopped to listen.

"King Fritz had heard of Trost District's hardship and will donate the royal family's reserves!" He declared. Instant clamor echoed through the air. "There's enough for everyone! Line up orderly!"

"What a King! He sure is generous!" Sasha said.

"He's got more than he knows what to do with. People are weak, especially when baited with food," Levi said. The group began to walk down the street again. As you got further down you suddenly felt violent vibrations coming towards you at a fast pace.

"Hey! Behind us!" You exclaimed, turning around. A wagon was speeding towards you and the two men at the back of the cart grabbed Eren and Historia. They sped off down the road.

"Armi—I mean, Krista and Eren! They got snatched away again!" Sasha exclaimed. Mikasa ran after the cart while you and Levi stayed where you were.

"You think it'll work?" You asked.

"It has to," he replied.

Ja ne!

{Ruby Red}