Chapter 4

Charlotte looks around the murky waters as they glide into a torn marina.

Joe and Ford sit in front of her, while James is besides her.

She takes a deep breath in, the mask she's is wearing preventing her from inhaling any radioactive fumes.

The boat glides softly into a narrow canal filled with torn pieces of boats, floating objects and belongings, the view of destroyed houses and water boats penetrating on her mind.

Years ago, this place had been alive, full of life and fun.

Now it was another abandoned place like any other, vacant and lonely.

__

"What happened here?" Charlotte questions as she stares around the tall torn down buildings around her, which are filled with dust and moss and have vines and trees growing into the structures.

Both her and James trail behind Joe and Ford, walking slowly and taking their time as they watch around them and take everything in with wide eyes.

There's a loud bark, and Charlotte's head snaps forward just in time to see a pack of dogs zoom past her, all of them barking loudly and lividly as they trail forward.

She frowns, looking from the dogs to Joe, halting for a moment before walking froward, catching up to the two of them.

James frowns at Charlotte's actions, not entirely sure about what she is about to do.

"What spooked them?" Ford wonders as he stares at where the dogs once were.

Charlotte walks ahead of them, looking around at the open air with a frown.

Then she turns around, looking up at James, who is walking towards her, a look of confusion on his face.

"Charlotte, what are you doing?" He questions, a frown etched on his face.

Charlotte shakes her head, looking at the ground and thinking for a moment. And then, as if by impulse, she pulls her gas mask off, letting it fall down to the floor.

"Charlotte! Are you mad! What are you doing!" James exclaims, running towards her and grabbing the mask from the floor.

Charlotte ignores him, pushing him away and looking around, breathing in fresh air. All of them stop for a moment, and then Charlotte turns to look at Joe.

"It's clean" She wonders to herself, staring at the city around them.

Then she turns back to James, who is standing there, her gas mask in his hand, his mouth parted slightly.

"You can take that off now" She mutters, motioning to the gas mask on his face.

James snaps his mask off, takes a deep breath, and then tosses the both of them into the floor.

Then he turns around to look at Joe, who is staring around in wonder

"The radiation in this place should be lethal, but there's nothing" He says, his tone hinting that he's angry.

"You're saying we should be dead right now?" James asks, looking at Joe.

Joe nods, not meeting his eyes.

"I'm saying we should have been dead long ago"

__

As Charlotte walks into what used to be Joe and Ford's house 15 years ago, she can't help but feel chills running down her back.