Chapter 9

Charlotte stares at the TV's around her, entranced by what she's looking at.

She knew it had been Godzilla who'd fought the MUTO, but the gigantic creature was nothing like what she'd expected.

With it's skin grayish-black, the texture was like one of an alligator, scaly and rough, visible scars aligning its body.

It stood on its two feet, with a tail as long as a small cruise ship and scales protruding from his back.

His snout was big and wide, not to mention the teeth it bared as it roared into the sky.

Charlotte blinks as if in a daze, watching as the TV news cuts to a video of Godzilla and the MUTO fighting.

It was like a wrestling fight magnified 100 times.

They made a city look like a clay model, their thirty feet figures wiping off buildings at a time, pushing them to the ground.

Charlotte couldn't believe she had been there, right in the action. Just below their feet.

"Charlotte" James calls out, making her snap out of her trance.

She turns around to face him, a questioning look on her face as she watches him motion her over.

She lets out a tired sigh, swimming through the herds of people around them, all of them trying to find their loved ones as they shout out their names, or trail forward roughly, ignoring the rest.

Without a word Charlotte walks up to Ford and James, offering a small smile to the little boy perched on Ford's arm.

It had been a miracle that the four of them had survived.

Charlotte didn't know how or why it was that every time she came close to death, something would come up and save her from dying. It had happened every time. Each me she thought she was going to die, she would get saved by some kind of miracle that she couldn't explain.

Charlotte looks around, seeing a large white tarp besides her.

She stops walking suddenly, ignoring the people who bump into her shoulders at the sudden stop and the rude glances as they pass by. James and Ford continue walking forward until Charlotte holds a hand over her head. 

"James! Ford! Over here" She yells out, gaining their attention as she points to the tarp, her other hand shielding her eyes from the sun.

The pair stops walking and eye the tarp, their eyes narrowed as well as the sun hits their faces. It takes them a moment before they understand what she is trying to say.

James nods, heading her way, Ford not far behind him.

Charlotte doesn't reply but starts walking towards the tarp, frowning at the line of people.

"Hi, Excuse me, I'm sorry," Charlotte says, pushing past people as she steps forward, trying to get to the front table.

Ford puts down the boy as he reaches the front of the table as well, looking at the worker intently.

"This kid has been separated from his parents" Ford announces, pointing to Akio.

The relief worker looks up from her clipboard and points to one of the papers lying on the table.

"Just fill out this form, and we'll be with you in a second"

Charlotte sighs desperately, shaking her head as she snatches the clipboard from the table and scans over it.

Besides her, James is looking over the paper as well, a frown etching on his face as he tries to fill in the blanks.

"Hey, do you have service on that cellphone?" Charlotte hears Ford ask, looking at the man beside him.