Chapter 10

Charlotte leans back on the military airplane seat, exhaling a long breath.

She's currently sitting beside James and Ford, the three of them engulfed in awkward silence as they stare around at the other army soldiers around them, all of them deep in silence as the airplane jumbles forward.

For a second it was like Charlotte was back in the army, preparing for an important mission next to Tyler, who always joked around.

At the thought of him, she can almost feel him staring at her, burning a hole on her chest. 

Charlotte opens her eyes, scanning the large airplane, slightly disappointed when Tyler is nowhere to be found. Not the glimpse of his smile, or his laughter when Charlotte said some dumb joke. 

She had grown used to it anyways, to the idea that Tyler was gone, to the slight gust of wind when she thought of him, or the feeling in the back of her throat when she stepped into a familiar place, or heard a familiar sound.

The plane jolts upward, snapping Charlotte out of her thoughts as she is jolted forward slightly.

She clears her throat loudly and shakes her head, trying to clear her mind before looking around the large area.

Confusion etches on her face when she sees a soldier step down a stairway at a fast pace, his boots clinking against the metal floor as he looks at his fellow soldiers.

"Alright, heads up! We got new destination orders!" the soldier shouts out, walking forward and past where Charlotte is sitting, stopping when he gets to the lines of neatly seated soldiers.

"Gear up!" He tells the soldiers, clapping his hands together before turning around and beginning to walk back into the cabin.

All of the soldiers instantly rise up, all of them looking for their equipment. The once quiet airplane is now buzzing with activity. 

Charlotte unbuckles herself as fast as she can, swinging the belt behind her and standing up to face the soldier, walking towards him.

Ford and James are not far behind, the both of them standing up behind Charlotte, and even though their 6 foot bodies tower over Charlotte's, she still holds more authority.

"Hey. Hey!" Charlotte calls out to the officer, gaining his attention.

The soldier turns to look at the three of them.

"What's the word?" James finally asks, looking at the soldier, his eyebrows arched high.

The soldier looks at James, then at Charlotte and Ford suspiciously for a moment before turning back at James.

"Another one of those things popped up in Nevada," He tells the three of them, shrugging tiredly before continuing to walk forward and back into his cabin.

Charlotte shakes her head, letting out a tired sigh.

"Just our luck" She mutters under her breath, turning to look at Ford and James.

"Now what do we do?" She questions, her arms crossed against her chest.

James shrugs, looking around the plane in silence.

He meets the eye of a few soldiers, all of them who give them side glances, their eyes stopping briefly on Charlotte before moving on and going back to gearing up.

"I guess we wait for the plane to land and we go from there" James finally says, turning back to face Charlotte and shaking his head.

Charlotte sighs, plopping herself down into the seat.

"Great. Just- That's wonderful"

+++

(Edited Jan 30, 2019)

I kinda want to have a Q&A, so if you have any questions (personal or from this book) I'd be glad to answer!!!