Chapter 5

Charlotte grunts in anger, struggling against her restraints. 

"Charlotte" James warns, looking at her with a look. 

Charlotte ignores him, letting out a huff as she tries to slide the handcuffs off.

"If I could just- get this thing to turn around" She mutters to herself as she looks at the handcuffs with a scowl. 

"Charlotte it's no use. We're not getting out of here" James continues, sighing at her useless attempts. 

Charlotte eyes him with a glare and then sighs, letting go of her restraints and looking out the window, finally realising that they are inside the compound. She stares around at the dim lights that illuminate the compound, all of them pointing to the same direction. Charlotte strains her head towards the window, trying to look at what they're pointing at, but it's no use. It's out of her view. 

She sighs, looking around at Joe and James, and then at the back window as the truck rounds a corner. 

She stops breathing for a second, her eyes widening. 

"What is it?" James asks after a moment, looking at Charlotte's expression  as he turns to look at the back window as well. 

He falls silent too. 

In front of them is a strange being, enclosed in what seems to be an egg. 

The egg radiates red, pulsing every few seconds. 

Charlotte's mouth opens an inch, only to snap shut and take a gulp. 

Now both her and James can get why the people were doing all of this. 

"What the hell?" James questions under his breath, his tone incredulous. 

He turns to look at Joe, his eyebrows furrowing in slight anger. 

"That is the creature?" He questions as the van they are currently on moves forward, driving them away. 

Charlotte turns to look from the window to Joe, her eyebrows high in her forehead. 

Joe stays silent for a moment and then finally nods, looking at the floor. 

Charlotte scoffs, shaking her head. 

"What did I get myself into?" She mutters to herself as she tilts her head back on the side of the van, looking at the ceiling. 

The van halts to a stop, and Charlotte hears the sound of footsteps. 

Soon enough, the van doors swing open, revealing 3 guards, their bodies covered in uniforms and protective vests, masks covering their faces. 

The guards point their guns at them, one of them reaching out with their guns held high and pulling Joe out roughly by his arms. 

"Where are you taking me?" Joe questions, looking at the officers as they drag him away. 

The officers don't respond, they just snap his hands together in restraints, and finally turn around to slam the door shut, oblivious to Joe's demands and questions. 

And just like that, Joe was gone. The person who had pulled Charlotte and James into this mess, had now left them on their own. 

Everyone stays silent, Charlotte sighing as she turns to look forward, her mind filled with unanswered questions, while James was looking at the window where Joe had gone to, starting to get angry at himself for falling for something this idiotic. He shouldn't had agreed. He thought it was no big deal, just a creature. Over exaggerated. Now he looked at the size of the egg standing in front of them, and it made him want to go back in time and punch himself for being so stupid.