Chapter 19

"Oh lord god, we give thanks to the opportunities that you've given us..." Charlotte tunes the soldiers out, scoffing as she turns to James.

"Do they really believe that in a world of monsters and evil beings this shit is going to save them?" She tells him under her breath.

James shakes his head, chuckling slightly as the soldier finished his praying, his voice sounding over the sound of the loud plane engine.

"It's what they believe in, Charles" he begins after a moment, using her nickname "If they want to pray to a god, let them pray to a god" He replies, looking around at the soliders, each of them sitting on a bench, their uniforms and parachutes tightly strapped.

Charlotte turns to James suddenly, a feeling of impulse coming over her.

They might die, and if she did, she wanted James to know how she felt.

"James" She begins after a moment, turning to look at him.

James turns to look at her, a questioning look on his face.

"Yeah?" he asks, slightly confused as to where the conversation was going.

"Um, I just- we might die, and I wanted to tell you-" She gets interrupted by the loud blaring of an alarm, and the bright red light going off.

Charlotte huffs out a breath of desperation, rolling her eyes at the lights.

"You can tell me later!" James calls out over the blaring as he pulls on his oxygen mask.

"Yeah. Sure" Charlotte mutters as she pulls on her own and unbuckles herself.

The back ramp to the plane slides open, revealing the sunlight, and the very high altitude.

Without a word, the soliders stand in two lines, each of them waiting for their turn to jump off the plane.

the blaring stops sounding, indicating that they are clear for take off.

In a second, Charlotte is jumping through the air, free falling into the earth at a fast rate.

Her heart speeds up, and she can't help but remember the times when she did this in the army.

She looks around, watching the dozen soldiers free fall beside her.

Then she turns to look at the sun, shining over the earth.

Everything so peacefull, so... timeless. She could stay there forever.

The sky starts to darken as they get lower to the ground, the red smoke trailing from each of the soliders, designed to know their locations.

Soon, Charlotte is surrounded by clouds and thunder.

She can't help but feel as if she was back in Skull Island, in that Helicopter.

She takes in a deep breath, looking down at the ground.

Her breath stops.

The city lies in ruins, covered completely in ashes and fire, a bubble of dust submerging the city in darkness.

She looks around and she nears the ground, watching as Godzilla and the Mutos battle to death in front of them.

The battle seems all to real. The memories bubbling in the back of her mind, flashes of what she had gone through filling her mind.

She was facing the same situation all over again.

She looks down at the streets, watching as they become clearer and bigger. Without a second thought, she pulls the string behind her, making her parachute go off above her.